Price for 1968 pickup

There is a 1968 Ford Pickup (I believe an F-150) being sold by someone in my area and I am thinking about buying it. But I'm not sure what the going price might be. Here's what I know right now.... 68 Ford Pickup, 6 cyl, 78k, one owner... that's from the owner. When I looked at it, I saw decent rubber, bed liner and tool box in the bed, didn't see much rust, if any, and it looks like it's in decent shape. I am going to drive it tomorrow afternoon so I will have a better idea of the condition at that time. I don't *need* a truck, but it would make some chores like hauling mulch and wood, easier, but I only do that stuff a couple times a year. So, I am trying to come up with a price to offer. If someone could make a recommendation for sites that deal in this type of vehicle, or can tell me what I should expect to pay, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bill Griffith

Reply to
Bill

I doubt that it is an F-150. I don't think they came along for maybe a decade later. Possibly the F-100?

From the blue book type of recommendations, they should probably pay you to take it off their hands. But if the owner is not claiming it is an antique, maybe you should listen to what he wants and then offer based on that?

Of course, it would likely have no power steering so that will be something that will put off a lot of buyers - and likely a 3 speed manual transmission with the column shift. No air; and a lot of tin on the inside so very noisy.

Or what?

H. ============== > There is a 1968 Ford Pickup (I believe an F-150) being sold by someone in my

Reply to
Rowbotth

For the uses that you specify, I'd think a small trailer (5x8) would make more sense. Upkeep would be much less, also.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I know about the manual equipment and that's no problem. My first vehicle was a 64/67 Ford pickup with all manual equipment, no air, I don't think it had a radio at all, and I had to install a horn to get it thru inspection (I used a push button to make it work). I blew the engine during a long trip at the blazing max speed of about 40 mph!!! Lotsa fun. I sold it for what I paid for it, $80.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I currently have a trailer about that size and use a car to pull it. It's ok, but the car is near the end of it's life and will need something to pull that old trailer. I'll see what the drive is like tomorrow. Besides, a simple truck like that to maintain wouldn't be a bad idea to help teach my kids about working on a vehicle.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

More like teach them to work on an antique vehicle. That won't have much practical use today. There is a reason MOST high schools have discontinued their auto shop programs...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

you can go to

and look up almost anything to find out what its worth.

Reply to
Jim Bob

I had forgotten about nada. I looked at kbb but this unit is off their charts.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well, the basics of how an engine work, and how brakes and other mechanicals work, remain pretty much the same. I don't expect my kids to be mechanics, but I just want them to know how things mechanical work, sometimes together, to make other things happen. It can improve their resourcefulness in figuring out how to fix something else later. It's amazing how a little knowledge can help you out of a jam sometimes. Look at McGiver for goodness sake!!! Anyway, we homeschool and this could really help them to learn a little engineering, even if it's old school. BTW, we used to use leaded fuel in vehicles but now you can't find it. I assume there's an additive you have to add to make unleaded not rip up the guts of the engine. Is that true?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, additives are available. However, since you seem to be looking at this vehicle as a learning project, replacing the existing valve seats with hardened ones, and possibly replacing the pistons with dished ones to reduce the compression ratio, will allow your pre-unleaded gasoline engine to run on regular unleaded pump gas without needing to use additional additives.

Google *"unleaded gas classic car"* (without the quotes) for additional information.

Reply to
Agave

=_NextPart_000_000A_01C67B3F.2777B330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Learning isn't the main reason to get this truck. I want to use it as a = workhorse, and when I need to do maintenance, the yunguns can help and = learn something during the process. Thanks for the info about the unleaded gas situation. If I get the = truck, I will see how much I actually use it before investing in any = type of rebuild. I did some tinkering when I was young, but not to the = point of rebuilding engines or tranny's. I really don't have equipment = for that kind of work any more either.

Thanks again.

Bill

BTW, we used to use leaded fuel in vehicles but now you can't find it. I =

assume there's an additive you have to add to make unleaded not rip up = the=20 guts of the engine. Is that true? Yes, additives are available. However, since you seem to be looking = at this vehicle as a learning project, replacing the existing valve = seats with hardened ones, and possibly replacing the pistons with dished = ones to reduce the compression ratio, will allow your pre-unleaded = gasoline engine to run on regular unleaded pump gas without needing to = use additional additives.

Google "unleaded gas classic car" (without the quotes) for additional = information.

Reply to
Bill

BTW, in my search I found a site that has all sorts of classifieds, including oldies. The site is

.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The only thing that needs to be worried about is the valve seats. Any competent machine shop can replace the valve seats with new hardened seats.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

The *only* reason I'd even consider purchasing a truck this old would be if it was in pristine condition OR if I was interested in restoring it for use as a show or tow vehicle for a show car.

I can't think of any reason to consider something this old as a vehicle to be used. By the time you throw enough money and labor into a dinosaur like this, you could have bought something thirty five years newer.

Reply to
Advocate

I have a 1967 F-100, that I bought to pull a camping trailer, it works very well and I don't have to spend a bucket full of money on it everytime I want to change the oil, or plugs or points, or worry about a damned computer going out and the truck not running. So in consideration of my OLD Dinosaur, I can't think of any reason I would even want something thirty five years newer. Oh, btw, I am running a 302 with an automatic and have had this vehicle of 5 years now and not a seconds bit of trouble out of it, can you say the same for your thirty five year newer vehicle?

Reply to
Jim Bob

I just got back from a test drive. It runs great, turned right over, of course, it's about 75 or 80 degrees today. We pulled the dipstick and the oil is like new. He may have just changed it this morning, but he doesn't seem the type. He is the original owner and has all the receipts for the work that was done on it. It drive nice. I haven't driven a truck that "basic" in quite a long time, but that's part of it's allure for me. I don't know tho, he wants 4k for it and doesn't need to sell it. As I said, I don't *need* to buy it either. So, I think for now I will sit back and wait. Maybe he'll come down later. It sure doesn't seem to need any work. I saw a receipt for a water pump dated Dec of 89 and the mileage was around

68k. So he's driven it 10k miles in 15 years! Anyway, I'll have to think about it. Can anyone advise if this is a reasonable price? I suppose that's all in what I want tho

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill,

It's worth what someone will pay him for it... He wants $4k and is in no big hurry to sell, chances are eventually he'll get it so if it's a really nice truck and will serve your needs, go for it, otherwise take a pass on it and keep looking. A really good friend of mine used to wheel and deal old cars and trucks all the time, and he had a favorite saying that went like this: "There's an ass for every seat", and he proved it to be true time and time again... it was amazing to watch. Good luck.

Reply to
websurfer

Absolutly!

Furthermore, that misguided lame old "computer going out" excuse just doesn't cut it. In the more than a million miles of driving computer controlled cars I have Never had a "computer go out", nor do I know anyone else who has had a "computer go out". If you accuatly drove a new car, you would see the error of your assumptions and excuses about them. It's kinda like stepping up from dial up modem to broadband, once you try it nobody in their right mind would want to step backwards...

You can easilly go over 300,000 miles in modern vehicles with simple oil changes and 1 or 2 spark plug changes, can you say the same for your thirty five year old vehicle? No, we both know you can't, caps, plugs, rotors, points, wires...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

As a matter of fact, yes I can. The last vehicle I had "trouble" with was a

1995 Dodge Turbo Diesel. I did learn a valuable lesson that time. Since then, all of my vehicles have been trouble free. You haven't had a seconds bit of trouble? Are you trying to tell me that you don't need to change plugs and points at least once yearly?

I've never had a computer go out...damned or other wise. If you want to drive something old, enjoy it...I have no problem with that, I'll even go so far as to say that I think it's a cool idea. I've owned and driven many old vehicles and if you are trying to sell me on the 'they are more reliable' argument...I'll politely say *BUNK*.

Old vehicles (cars, pickups and motorcycles) are alot of fun. They are not better, nor are they trouble free. When you drive one, you are making a statement. I'll admit they are interesting and cool to look at and probably a great hobby. But as far as reliable and efficient transportation? No way.

Reply to
Advocate

Reply to
JimV