Re: 71 Ford f250 Cooling questions

I guess I'm going have to eat some humble pie. It looks like the problem was not an exhaust system restriction.

After I put the flowmaster on the truck and drove it around I took out the plugs and the insulators were pinkish in color. Hmm, looks like the carb is running lean. So, I took my truck to a shop that specializes in carb work and asked them to check the air-fuel mixture. Well they did and they said the carb was running slightly rich. However, the real problem was that the timing was off and that is why the engine was overheating. The previous mechanic swears up and down that he set the timing correctly.

I have not yet tested the truck for overheating because a seal on the steering box started leaking like crazy and its back in the shop for steering box repairs.

Go figure, while I had the engine out for rebuilding I did not overhaul the power steering box (although I did put in a rebuilt power steering pump and hoses) because the previous owner had overhauled it three years ago. The truck had been immobile for the 18 months prior its resurrection and I guess the seal did not like being brought back to life.

As soon as I get the truck back I will post an update on my journey of truck rebuilding.

-David

Until last Thursday, my 460 had a damn 2" tail pipe on it with a dual inlet > muffler. (that way when I got it.) Other than being constipated, that won't > cause overheating problems. As stated before, your muffler must have been > restricted real bad, if in fact the problem did go away. That is if there > ever actually was a problem. >
Reply to
David Glaser

My '75 F150 with 360 2100 motorcraft carb warner 4 speed and AC/PS was getting too hot too...

I had a leak in my vacuum advance motor, replaced. Installed a -new- water pump and cap checked for good seal there. Replaced my leaky after market (added it myself) clutch fan clutch. Experimented with some main jet changes went back to what I had.

My over heating went away right after I did the next thing tho... Went from a three core to a four core radiator that was about $307.

The old radiator was in good shape but dirty (only on the outside) from weeping, of course any leaks, even slight, have a real negative effect.

If I had an automatic I would consider an extra raditor for it instead of adding that heat to my engine. But don't know nuthing about it really. :/

Anyway... my setup never held the amount of water and coolant that the service manual sez it should... until I replaced the original designed radiator with that new four core...now it's right on the money- what they said it should be. Ford shorted me on a simple radiator, no kidding. :/

Here lately it's running even cooler after I cut into the exhaust Y pipe and found it really crappy looking in there. It looked like a football shaped torch cut hole with lots of slag hanging from it and the hole was no bigger than a golf ball! :( Ford shorted me there too. Hey, it has more power now that -both- sides of the engine are running. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj