'02 Impala... how do I...

Page 1 of 2
1) Disable DRL's 2) Disable auto headlights 3) get the radio to turn off and on with the key
also, are there any differences in any of the above procedures between
'02 and newer versions? (I'm driving an '02 for now because my new company car is taking longer than expected to arrive.)
Since this is a leased vehicle, all mods must be easily reversible.
thanks!
nate
PS - more annoying stuff I don't like about the car...
1) unlike EVERY other car I've ever owned, the doors don't unlock when you close them, if you accidentally hit the lock button the doors are LOCKED. (yeah, I found that out the hard way, after having it for maybe 6 hours. Haven't locked myself out of a car in... well, ever I think.) 2) Who thought it was a good idea to put a 3400 under the hood of a full-sized sedan? 3) A/C is wimpy. I hope that that is a symptom of age/abuse and not reflective of how it's designed. It was about 95 out today and I had to keep the fan on '5' to be reasonably comfortable - I would have preferred it cooler in the car. 4) Glovebox is laughably small. (and did not contain owner's manual, but that's not the car's fault. Unless the manual is too big for the glovebox...)

One answer: If you give the radio/car a few seconds after turning the key off, the radio should eventually turn off. Other accessories also may stay on during this time--kind of a courtesy to not let you down abruptly as soon as switch is turned off. s
Daytime Running Light De-activation is not reversible. Don't know why you would want to disable a safety feature. If you want to idle with the lights off you can press down slightly on the Park brake before starting the engine...
As for the auto locks, they can be programmed on the radio. You need the owner's manual. This vehicle is also designed to inhibit the doors from locking if the key is in the ignition. Prevents you from locking the keys in while you run into 7-11 for a coffee and leave the engine running.
The radio will stay on for twenty minutes after shutting off the engine as a courtesy. As soon as you open the door the radio stops...
95 degrees for AC is about the maximum design depending on the wet bulb temperature. Obviously the AC works harder in humid climates of 95 degrees in Chicago, New York or other coastal cities as opposed to the dry Arizona climate.
Steve

Steve wrote:

Because they use the high beams and therefore are rude and glaring to other motorists, defeating the idea of a "safety" feature. It's nice to let other traffic know I'm there; it's not so nice to blind them.

well... they don't work that way :/

Ah, I see... never tried leaving it on.

Well... I'm in DC... does that mean that I need to hope it doesn't get any hotter?
nate

Drive with the low beam headlamps on all the time (perhaps put tape on the sensor for the automatic headlamps to make it think that it is night time all the time). That will get rid of the high beam DRLs.
Timothy J. Lee
Timothy J. Lee wrote:

Hey, I like that idea. That way I don't have to worry about turning the lights off because I'll never actually turn them on. Does anyone know where the sensor is?
thanks,
nate

Usually on top of the dash..usually protruding, but can be behind the defogger grille.
Daytime running lights use the high beam but not at full power. It's not going to blind anyone.

N8N wrote:

I hear that complaint very infrequently, and I don't really get it. High beams in series (DRLs) are a much lower intensity of focused light than when run normally at full B+. The biggest reason HB DRLs are not a problem is the fact that they are used in DAYLIGHT; there is significant sunlight outside as to keep onlookers' eyes adjusted for bright light conditions. Ive seen plenty of cars going down the street over the years with their highbeams on (for whatever reason) and never thought it was annoying -- let alone DRLs.
Our resident lighting expert Dan likes small dedicated amber DRLs better than headlights for a variety of reasons, but my gut feeling is I like the headlight systems better - just from a driver standpoint. I think they are more noticeable and hopefully more safe as a result. I have no facts to back that up, however.
Toyota MDT in MO

I agree with you, Comboverfish. The headlight systems don't bother me at all. What REALLY bothers me is people driving at dusk, in rain, and fog, with not a sign of a light on.
And there are tons of them that do it, whether by ignorance, inconsideration, or simple unconsciousness.
These people will get you killed.
Comboverfish wrote:

I'm one of the people that *does* complain about it. Now the Impalas, I don't notice them that much, but being somewhat glare sensitive, I can tell you that Saturns are teh suXX0rs especially in twilight without the headlights on. But even on an overcast day they can be distracting.

They're brighter than they need to be for their intended purpose, for one thing... if nothing else it's wasteful.
nate

Brighter than they have to be, possibly. Wasteful...mathematically it is a very small number, insignificant to many of us.
One wreck will cost you a ton more than these lights will.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Those lights won't save me from a single wreck. They're useless. A marketing gimmick, IMHO.
Found another thing I hate - the utterly worthless parking brake. You put it to the floor to set it and then kick it to release it - no release handle. So it can't be used as an "emergency brake" should the service brakes fail, it's for parking only.
nate

many
Cant fight you on the parking brake, but I do not agree with your assessment of automatic lighting. You may be one of those rare few who use lighting appropriatel to the circumstance, but a good many of the rednecks around here do not. And they are very dangerous.

That reminds me of the ingenious e-brake setup in my Jimmy, with the barking brake release lever a mere few inches away from the hood release lever. Now THAT would be quite the surprise in an emergency. ;)

That's why it's called a parking brake. That way it's harder for you to sue if you need it in an emergency and it's not very helpful.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

It's still his car and still his choice if he wants DRLs or not.
FWIW, I have discussed this with Manitoba Public Insurance... (in Canada DRLs became mandatory in 1990)... and they charge the same rates for 1989-90-91 Berettas and the same rates for 1989-90-91 Camaros, so it's showing me that they don't see a decrease in collision rates for those cars. They've referred me to the Insurance Bureau of Canada... I feel I'm either entitled to a discount for my "safer" Beretta (1990) with DRL's or that DRL's are going to be proven to be a non-issue for saving lives.
And FWIW, I think DRL's on two lane highways are good. But they are pointless in rush hour, which is where I spend 90% of my driving, so that's why I've disabled them. I know where the headlight switch is and I know when it needs to be used.
Ray
I know where the headlight switch is and

You are perhaps an exception. Most of us make the occasional mistake. Some of us just dont seem to know the law in this state and to attempt to comply with it.
On 2005-07-22 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix said: >Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
> >I know where the headlight switch is and >> I know when it needs to be used. >You are perhaps an exception. Most of us make the occasional >mistake. Some of us just >dont seem to know the law in this state and to attempt to comply >with it.
Laws - poor substitute for using common sense...
Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA
Only the mediocre can always be at their very best.
Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Very true, Tom. A lot of the drivers in this part of the state don't seem long on common sense, and 'the law' has little effect in making the roads safer.
A recent article in the Houston Chronicle mentions that due to lack of funding in the school systems, and because of the need for higher scholastic performance, drivers education classes would be dropped in some of the schools. ('Bubba' won't drop any football programs, I'll bet!)