03 Buick Century intake gasket

OK, ON 12/24/06 I was in a front end collision. (The guy backed out in front of me, he was ticketed.) I had to have the bumper, the hood, the right quarter panel and headlamp replaced.
Since then Ive run into several problems including fuses blowing and the mechanic cant seem to fix it.
Now the intake gasket is leaking and my mechanic is estimating it at 836.88 with taxes to do the job.
Does that sound about right for my car?
Thanks, Lori

Doesn't sound too far off. Depends on where you are though. Where I'm at, the dealer rates are around $90/hr.
Say, $100 for the parts and 7 hours labour. That comes to $839.50 tax in here.
Ian should know more.
Steve

Sounds right for Canada. I have a Dealer parts quote in front of me and the parts alone with taxes are $383.42. So I asked the Dealer what they charged for the job and it was over $800.00. $86.60 plus tax just for the bolts! Get real. I picked a set up from ebay for $30.00. $80.00 dollars for valve cover gaskets? Get real! Use the old one's as per Ian's most excellent instructions that were posted awhile back. Thanks Ian.
loriann wrote:

Sounds reasonable depending on what your labour rate is. Our labour rate is 106 and that would be right in the ball park.
Make sure he changes the oil after the repair.
Ian
Thanks, but you are saying if rates are 90 - 105... his rates are $70. Hes charging a hundred for a "updated gasket kit."
spoke with a friend of mine and he is suggesting I call insurance again because this car had NO problems before the accident. Do you think I have a chance in hell getting it covered?
"shiden_kai" wrote: > loriann wrote: > > > Now the intake gasket is leaking and my mechanic is > estimating it at > > 836.88 with taxes to do the job. > > Sounds reasonable depending on what your labour rate is. > Our labour rate is 106 and that would be right in the ball > park. > > Make sure he changes the oil after the repair. > > Ian
loriann wrote:

What he charges per hour makes little difference. Mechanics will often charge all sorts of different amounts of "time" to do the same job. So let's say I quote a customer 5.5 hrs to do an intake at 100 dollars an hour..550. The other guy says "I only charge 70 dollars an hour, your intake labour will be 560" Doesn't make sense...other then the fact that he might decide that the job is worth 8 hrs labour.
As far as the price of the gasket, that's cheap! And there is more then one gasket involved, at least....if you are doing the job right.

No, unless your insurance adjuster is a total idiot! If it's an 03 with a reasonable amount of mileage....you should be able to get GM to pay for it, or go 50/50 with you.
Ian
THANKS GUYS, I WILL contact GM. However, I am not the original owner of the car. This was a "program" car that I purchased. I purchased it in 04 at 26,000 miles. It is now at 93,000. Is that still acceptable for the "goodwill" program?
I have appointment on Monday for this repair so will be watching this thread!
Thanks all for your help!
Makes a lady feel better knowing shes not getting "snowed" on a repair!
"shiden_kai" wrote: > loriann wrote: > > > Thanks, but you are saying if rates are 90 - 105... his > rates are > > $70. He's charging a hundred for a "updated gasket kit." > > What he charges per hour makes little difference. Mechanics > will often charge all sorts of different amounts of "time" to > do > the same job. So let's say I quote a customer 5.5 hrs to do > an intake at 100 dollars an hour..550. The other guy says "I > only > charge 70 dollars an hour, your intake labour will be 560" > Doesn't make sense...other then the fact that he might decide > that > the job is worth 8 hrs labour. > > As far as the price of the gasket, that's cheap! And there is > more > then one gasket involved, at least....if you are doing the job > right. > > > spoke with a friend of mine and he is suggesting I call > insurance > > again because this car had NO problems before the accident. > Do you > > think I have a chance in hell getting it covered? > > No, unless your insurance adjuster is a total idiot! If it's > an 03 with > a reasonable amount of mileage....you should be able to get GM > to > pay for it, or go 50/50 with you. > > Ian
loriann wrote:

Original owner doesn't matter. But that mileage is quite high...you may just be lucky to get a 50/50 split.
Ian

What your insurance carrier is going to tell you is that everyone says their car had no problems before an accident, and then suddenly unrelated issues get claimed against the accident. I would not expect any insurance carrier to cover the gaskets. It's just not likely, and even not possible for it to be accident related.
The car actually has had that problem before the accident, but you likely did not notice it. The intake gasket problem with GM engines is widely known and documented, and it starts out rather insipidly and develops into a significant problem over time. If you knew where to look, you would have been able to see the signs of the problem miles and miles and miles ago.
I'd say good luck in getting an insurance carrier to cover that repair. Your friend is probably well intended, but in this case the friend's advice is not very sound.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
wrote in message >
Sounds a little high in my laymen's opinion, was told it was "about a $700 repair" roughly a year ago. Due to GM goodwill, I paid $300 for intake manifold gasket repair an a new blower resistor on my 2001. Contact GM directly, your dealer can't offer the "Goodwill" without GM's say so.

doane_nut wrote:

We can in Canada! Our dealership authorizes and does goodwill warranty on these manifold gaskets practically every day!
Ian