1998 Oldsmobile LSS half shaft removal

On a '98 LSS (3800 N/A), do I need to pop the lower ball joints or tie rod ends to remove the half shafts? Do the inner stub shafts just slide out of
the tranny or do I need a special puller?

Yes, you have to pop the lower ball joint. No special tools needed to pop the half shaft - just pry it out.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

So I might as well plan on doing the LBJs while I'm at it. 260k+ kms on it, they're probably due. Am I crazy or does this thing need a 33mm axle nut socket? Seems like an odd size, and naturally one that I do not have yet.

32mm I believe. Yes - I'd do the lower ball joints while I was at it.