2002 IMPALA 3.8 Liter (Extended GM Warranty)?

Hello,

I am debating on getting an extended GM warranty on my 2002 Chevy Impala with the 3.8 Liter engine. I can get some decent prices from GM dealers on the Internet for different mileage/year combinations. I know that there are some costly maintenance issues and potential problem areas with this vehicle and engine. The only one I am aware of is the leaking manifold (Warping due to heat). I have the recall notice for the new screws and the pellets they put in the antifreeze but I have not yet had a problem in that area. (Has anyone had any problems once that procedure was done?). Another issue is that I can feel some clicking in the steering wheel when I turn sometime. (Steering shaft problem?).

If anyone can provide me a list of problem areas with this car and the estimated cost for a fix that will be much appreciated. This listing will help me decide whether the cost of the GM extended warranty plan is the most cost effective in light of the potential high cost problem areas down the road (After the 3year/36K warranty). (I have about

30,000 miles on the vehicle, so I have a little time to decide). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Reply to
Curtis

Get one, for as long as you plan on owning the car if possible. Just one major repair will pay for the cost of the warranty. Oh and shop around a few dealerships, try and get them to pretty much bid against each other, they tend to try and put a 40-50% profit margin on extended warranties when they sell them to you with a new car, and no doubt they will do it with a used one.

Reply to
Paradox