3 X or 24X ckp

Does anyone know how to tell which one needs replacing? I have a 1996 3.1 lumina and the check engine light came on so I checked it with a code reader and got P0336 crank shaft position sensor A ckt range/pref
I guess theres 2 sensors a 3X and a 24X one how can i tell which one is bad without buying both?
Both these signals are generated by the crank sensor, one is for timing control the other is the signal to control injector activation and saprk activation.You need to check the signals on an ocilliscope, or check continuity from the sensor to the icm, this will check the harness, look for oiled up or corroded connections at either end of the circuit.

-
Dean Swinger wrote:

You might want to read a helpful article on gm ignitions: http://www.motorage.com/motorage/article/articleDetail.jsp?id 037
Paul,
Did the author of the article you provided a link for ever publish Part 2?

Silver Surfer wrote:

I don't know, SilSurf. I think I remember asking Motor Age about that several years ago and they did not have it. I never followed up though. Paul.