4.3L engine replacing timing chain cover

I have 1989 GMC Safari and have removed the timing cover to replace oil seal, chain and sprockets. I did not lower the oil pan to remove the cover. Is it reasonably possible to reinstall the cover without
removing the oil pan or can you loosen only the front and lower it enough to reinstall the cover? I don't want any leaks and am willing to drop the pan if that is the only way to do it well. But, I am curious anyone has had sucess without doing so.
Thanks!
Barry

If your timing cover is like a 350, and I suspect it is, you can grind a bit off the bottom "ears" on the inside of the cover, then it installs easily. Good luck!