90 Chevy Lumina rear disk brake help!!

I've been fighting these rear disk brakes all night. According to my haynes manual, they are like most rear disk brakes. Turn the piston, and it should retract into the caliper.
Well .. this time, it's wrong! I can spin the piston, but it doesn't seem to be going into the caliper. If I spin the piston the other direction it moves out not in, so I know I'm going the right direction ... What am I missing?
You have to loosen the nut on the parking brake lever first.

Are you sure about that Steve? It doesn't say thing in the book 'bout that..

-
The Haynes manuals aren't known for being complete with their information.
1. Drain approx. 2/3 of brake fluid from master cylinder. 2. Raise and support vehicle, then remove wheel assembly. 3. Loosen tension on parking brake cable at equalizer, then disconnect cable and remove return spring from parking brake lever. 4. Hold parking brake lever in position, loosen retaining nut, then remove nut, lever and seal. 5. Position two adjustable pliers over inboard shoe tabs and flanges on caliper housing, then bottom piston in caliper bore. 6. Reinstall lever seal, lever and retaining nut. 7. NOT APPLICABLE. 8. Remove caliper mounting bolts, then lift caliper from mounting bracket. If only shoe and lining assemblies are being replaced, suspend caliper from chassis with suitable hanger. Do not allow caliper to hang from brake hose.
Steve