'95 GA Fuel Door

This is a common problem and I've read about it before, but I can't for the life of me remember the solutions.
'95 Grand Am with the fuel door release between the door and driver's
seat. This is of course the only way to open the fuel door. Problem is as I'm sure almost all of you know is that the fuel door many times will not close. (It opens perfect almost every time) The only way to get it to shut is to snap the release violently, then try shutting it. This leads me to believe that slack as been created in the cable. Is there a means for adjustment for this release? Or some sort of return spring?
TIA,
Tony
I have a 96 that has the same release. I shoot the little plastic catch inside the fuel door with some light penetrating oil (the kind that comes in the aerosol cans) using the little plastic tube that comes with them, so I can get the oil down in the mechanism. Use very light oil so it doesn't stiffen up in the winter. I use Aero Kroil though WD 40 would work too, I think. About every 3 months.
To get to the actual mechanism, I'm not sure. Looked at mine and it looked like I would have to tear the trunk apart.
I have "tweaked" mine by slightly bending the metal part of the catch forwards or rearwards, but you have to be careful. Too far rearwards and you'll be prying the door open.
Jim