Can Anything Stop Toyota?

Page 4 of 14
Well dull uninteresting products is certainly one problem at Toyota. They do a great job of assembling second rate stuff efficiently.
Ed

In being of bellicose mind posted:

Ed... you're sounding a lot like a replacement for "MikeHunt".... defender of the indefensible.
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
"Philip" wrote:

I had a bad experiences with a Toyota a few years ago. I think current Toyota products are dull and uninteresting. There is not a single Toyota product other than the Pirus that is has any outstanding features. When only cars the cars I can afford are like the current Toyota products, I don't know what I'll do. I really don't understand the "Toyota phenomenum." I've owned Toyotas, had significant others that owned Toyotas, expect my SO to own a Toyota again soon, and worked with many Toyota owners. None of the Toyotas I have been associated with seem to have been particualrly reliable or long lasting. Yet, almost every Toyota owner I know loves them. I just don't understand why. One particular freind spent more keeping his Camry running than I spent on all the cars I owned in the last 15 years. You'd think he'd swear off Toyotas (I know I would have). But no, he bought another Toyota. He hasn't owned a domestic car in 20 years (and the last one was an AMC product). When I pointed out how unreliable his Toyota was, he took the attitude that it was not that bad and that any US car would have been worse. He thinks I am just lucky and that I am due to suffer soon.
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

It's the engine. As long as the engine itself is fine and the car starts, most people consider the car to be bulletproof. The old Volvos used to be the same - you couldn't kil the engine and it always ran, yet it wasn't a Mercedes by anyone's imagination. Of course, Mercedes then started building cheap cars...
C. E. White wrote:

We heard you the first time, and we also know you speak for a small of you. They are #2 on the planet, apparently, folks want dull and uniteresting. Of course, trying to get out of a burning car is far from dull and uninteresting, maybe you need a Ford?
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for
MDT Tech wrote:

I've never had a Ford as bad as the Toyota I owned. I only wish the Toyota would have burned up. As for claiming that Toyota is #2 on the planet. I think you have that wrong as well.
Ed
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:05:45 -0500, "C. E. White"

Sorry, (and I wish I had the link to prove it...) but Toyota has overtaken Ford as the global #2 selling marque in the auto world, behind GM.
Vuarra
Debating which is better is kid stuff, they ALL build some that are not up to snuff. If total sales count for quality and reliability then that would indicate GM builds the best quality and offers the best value. Toyota indeed outsold Ford worldwide by few thousand vehicles in the third quarter. What the Toyota fanatics don't tell you is Ford outsells Toyota nearly three to one in the US. The one bad Toyota one once owned does not make all Toyotas bad anymore than does one bad GM or Ford one owned make all GM's Fords bad. For some reason a hand full of Toyota owners that hang in the NG's seem paranoid or have an inferiority complex and try to justify their preference by denigrating anything else. From what I see in our business all manufactures are building good vehicles today, the only real difference is style and price. I would suggest one drive and get a total drive home price, then buy the style and brand that best suit their needs and budget and get on with their life.
mike hunt
Vuarra wrote:

Vuarra wrote:

This is based on the results for the third quarter only. For the model year Ford is still ahead. It is possible that Toyota might overtake Ford for the model year if Toyota has a very strong fourth quarter, but it doesn't seem likely given the strong sales of the new F150. Third qurter truck sales for Ford were somewhat depressed becasue a lot of people were waiting to see the new F150. The biggest thing hurting Ford car sales is the lack of new models. They won't start appearing until next year. Toyota may finish #2 for the year or they may not. If this happens the Ford execs only need to look in the mirror to understand why. Instead of spending money to develop new vehicles thye bought Volvo. t wasn't profitiable before Ford bought it, and probaly never will be.
Ed

Sounds like my gf. She's had -one- domestic car in her life...a Plymouth Volare, and because of that all American cars are crap (forgetting of course that Japanese cars of that era were nothing but rust within a year). Never mind that her son's Accura spends more time in the shop than on the road, never mind that she only keeps a car 3 years anyway.
I had one Toyota back in the 80s...most annoying car I've ever owned. Cramped, cluttered interior...impossible to find a comfortable driving position, rather anemic, very difficult to work on and not any more trouble free than anything else I've owned.
Thanks, I'll stick with my Cavalier (299,000 & still goin' strong).
Remember, this genius refers to his "SO", so what might that be? One can only wonder......! <LOL>

Toyota
On 20 Nov 2003 11:34:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com (Bobby The D) wrote:

ROFLMAO
someone has to like that POS!!!!
Scott in Florida
In (Bobby The D)

The spirit of the stovebolt Chevy lives on. ;-)
--
~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:08:56 GMT, someone who calls themselves

The old stuff Chevy built was rock solid. Then somewhere in time (I put it in the late 60's, early 70's) the Detroit folks lost their way and started building all their cars to be disposable and not durable...
People say they turned it around and are building decent cars again, but I'm not convinced yet - people I know (including my parents and relatives, boss and co-workers) "Buy American" and haven't had big problems - but they have dealt with a lot of little ones.
--<< Bruce >>--
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA
C. E. White wrote:

Ed, you have some sour grape juice running down your face. They didnt get to be #2 on the planet for no reason. Your views are just that, your only.
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for

They do a

As are your views..... at least Eds make sense. Bob
Bob wrote:

Bob, sour grape juice on you too? :-D
Suck it up, get over it!
--

SENATOR ZELL MILLER DEMOCRAT OF GEORGIA, the nation's most prominent
conservative Democrat, said today he will endorse President Bush for

Plenty
17
new
of
of
criticality
====================Yep, and with all their advances in streamlining the building process, and the rest of it, one would think their prices would be closer to the Kia or Hundai :) ......money hungry little boogers!

I'd have to agree. I've test driven Toyota's but always thought that they sucked. I mean the Celica I test drove was as slow or maybe even slower than my 1995 Escort and it cost a whole lot more. And the Celica GT version cost several thousand more than the regular version but had almost the same amount of torque, so of course it was equally slow. Plus when you keep a car forever like I do things like insurance costs and replacement costs matter more to me than "initial quality". For the difference in insurance costs alone you should be able to pay for all the extra parts you'd put in a Ford or Chevy. I wouldn't even consider buying a Chrysler (or Mitsubishi, or Mazda, or Isuzu, or Nissan).
I visited different Toyota dealers over the years.
I was ready to buy, but I couldn't get past their snotty additude.
Basically; This is the ( list ) price and, this is our "markup" ( ADM ?? ) and, this is for dealer prep and here's "shit" for your trade in......
Take it or leave it !
I left it. <rj>