coilspring compressor

67-69 f-body / 68-74 x-body
does anyone know of a manufacturer of a coilspring compressor that can be inserted and extracted through the small shock hole in the lower
control arm, to make replacing the front coilsprings easier? it's a nightmare job i'd like to get done easier. i've tried a couple of them out there but they either didn't fit, or their fold-out arms weren't wide enough.
thanks
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com says...

A coil spring compressor doesn't work well on a F-body. The spring has way to much arch in the pocket.
1) Raise the car and put it on jack stands placed under the frame. 2) Remove the tire 3) Remove cotter key in the lower ball joint. Loosen the nut a few turns so there is about a 1/8th inch gap between the nut and spindle. 4) Gently tap the ball joint stud with a hammer until the taper unseats. 5) Place the jack under the ball joint and jack up the lower A-arm until you can remove the nut with your fingers. 6) Now SLOWLY lower the A-arm with the jack until its at the end of its travel. The spring should drop out or come out with a little pulling.
Reverse procedure for installation :-)

Dennis Smith
Dennis Smith wrote:

hehe, that's how we tried to install it. unfortunately, jacking up the lower arm jacked up the entire front of the car :eek!:
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com says...

Do you have the engine in the car? You are going to need it at least sitting in for the weight. I installed the springs in my '71 T/A when the frame was just sitting on top of four jack stands and the engine/trans resting on the mounts.
Dennis Smith
yeah, everything was in the car. drove up to my friend's house, and rebuilt the front end in three horrible days, lol. pst sent the wrong kit, ball joints were out of round, bushings were so thick we couldn't get the control arms back in, and alignment took forever!

Did you try a renta place yet? I rented a spring compressor before I bought one.
Try here http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdindex.html?source=google KD Tools manufactures excellent automotive tools. I have a coil spring compressor of theirs with unequal-length arms that allow for arched springs. It's one of the best I've ever seen or used.
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
thanks, i checked it out. however, i think i tried a similar one before and it didn't fit through the hole, unless it was a different one that i had.
Rich B wrote:

Did you Google your search? >> www.google.com JC Whitney has the standard type. Try also KD Tools >> http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdindex.html?source=google