cost to R&R heater core 1991 Lumina APV?

I recently had the heater core replaced in a 1991 Lumina APV Van. This Van has only a front heater core. I wonder what the experts on this board think this should have cost

Reply to
NoSpamSam

Not a mechanic... nor do I play one on TV. Your information is kinda skimpy so the estimate will vary widely.

2.0 hours labor times what your hourly labor charge is (class B skill level) 160.00 Heater core

Cooling System Refill

Heater Hoses and clamps

Shop Charges 10% of Bill or $50. max

Sales Tax

Based upon the little information provided.... I would guesstimate between $400. and $ 600.00 at a service shop. More if you replace hoses and have the cooling system flushed.

DIY

Heater Core 55.00 Anti Freeze 8.00 Heater Hose #1 Engine Bypass 10.00 Heater Hose #2 Engine outlet 8.00 Spring Clamps

$81,00 Plus 3 hours of your labor.

Peter ymmv

Reply to
Peter

50 - 60% of the value of the van ???
Reply to
Jonas Grumby

Depends upon how you calculate the value of the Van..

Book value - what someone would be willing to pay you for the van, or what you should be willing to pay someone else for the van. This price includes all the stuff that is just waiting to break and will need replacement.

Actual value... if it's been maintained properly, parts replaced on schedule, all the broken stuff fixed thus maintaining and adding to the estimated life of the van.

So in this case... the van might be close to worthless and functionally worn out. I would expect the book value to reflect this condiition as it takes into consideration the fact that nothing lasts forever and you are purchasing a used vehicle into which you might have to pour a lot of money.

OR

the van could have been worked on, parts replaced, service done and might have a useable life of xxx amount of miles. Finding a replacement van in similar condition would be difficult or impossible. In this case, investing the money in repairs MIGHT make a lot more sense.. You may not get the money back in resale value... however you WILL get the money back in extended use of the vehicle.

Book value is not always an accurate indicator when it comes to deciding whether or not to invest money in repairs. The actual condition of the car is more reliable.

In the OP... van is 1991. I have a 1990 with 120,000 miles. Book Value is zip...however based on previous experience with APV's, I can expect them to go to 200,000 miles just needing minor replacement (alternators, the stupid intake gasket if it hasn't been done yet, front end work). If you DIY, you get a nice car for a lot less money then the depreciation alone on a more recent car. My 2002 otoh dropped 9,000 in 5 years and will still need all the service and replacement parts... including the upper / lower intake manifold gasket replacement. My 1991 probably has only cost me 2, 500 in service during the same period of 5 years of ownership.

Hopefully someone else can explain this concept a little more clearly than I have.

Just my .02....

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Peter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

well, peter, i think that was a great explanation of what should be common sense! simpler for most would be............dont put 600 bucks in a beater. buy a coat!......dont hesitate at 600 dollars on a keeper, if your sure its a keeper!.........kjun

Reply to
Kjun