COSTY MASTERCYLINDER ON 1993 Buick Park Avenue

Can someone reasonably explain why a GM dealer's charge to replace the brake mastercylinder on a '93 Buick is over $500.00 total? Are they that much better that a mechanic or garage that will replace it for
$175.00? total. Mac

the service manager and the parts manager and they supervise the service advisors. We still haven't gotten any pay for the mechanic, yet. Sense a bureacratic trend? The independent mechanic wears all the hats. s
mac wrote:

Expensive parts plus over $100/hour "book rate labor" may have plenty to do with it.
Personally I would do it myself. If that isn't possible, get a good independent to do the work for you, but insist on a brand new, not remanufactured master cylinder. In my experience there are a lot of marginal quality remanufactured parts on the market. A good Raybestos or Wagner master cylinder sells for around $100-$150 discounted retail while a Cardone remanufactured unit is $30-$40.
John