Ecotec 2.4 and HHR

Considering an HHR with the 2.4L Ecotec. Any info on how this car should hold up with this engine and the automatic trans? Do the Ecotecs have a
generally good track record?

Ian (ShidenKai) should be a prime source on this engine. I asked him about it some time ago, and his opinion at that time, IIRC, was that it was a pretty good little engine..
I believe this is the engine in my FIL's Sonoma. I would have to check to be sure. If so, the engine is okay but underpowered, and the gas mileage with the autotrans is absolutely stinko.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

We have almost "no" issues with this engine. The biggest problem we see is engine damage due to people running over "stuff" and cracking the oil pan...losing all the oil...trashing the motor. The engine oil pan hangs down right in the way of everything, and there is no subframe to protect it.
There is also an issue with porous blocks.....at the rear of the engine block, they develop an oil leak that is basically just seeping right out of the block. GM won't replace the block, we clean it up and apply an epoxy sealant. bush league...in my opinion, but that's what the "General" wants to do.
(I didn't capitalize the bush.....I didn't want to inadvertantly cast aspersions upon your President)
Ian

MY F******* PRESIDENT!! ROTFLMAO
'Bush' means the same as 'dot' in Norwegian. Fits him, too.
gad wrote:

I had to go to Las Vegas, NV a few weeks ago for one week and rented one of those. It was ok for flat land cruising but you can forget powering around mountain switchbacks. I kept it in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time. Mileage was about 19 mpg in the mountains and 27 cruising open highway. Visibility was not very good out the sides and back. Its a bit too underpowered for me.
Thanks all for the info. We drove one today, and the wife vetoed it. Visibility is poor, and my 6'6" son is too cramped to drive it. The search continues.
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

I suggest looking at the Chrysler Caliber.