GM Advertising Is Insane

Page 1 of 3
"...buyer's remorse comes standard on most GM vehicles..."
GM Advertising Is Insane http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-advertising-is-insane/#more-329078
GMs new ad campaign, featuring Chairman Ed Whitacre, centers around the catchphrase may the best car win. According to the New York Times, the lure to new buyers will be a 60-day refund on any new GM product. In short, the perfect way to remind shoppers that buyers remorse comes standard on most GM vehicles. But thats not even the craziest part of GMs latest bid for consideration. To find out more, lets just surf over to maythebestcarwin.com
Oops! The site, name and branding concept behind GMs next big marketing thing has already been taken! By Yamaha! For a golf car(t)! Bold Moves!
Seriously though, where can we learn more about why choosy consumers should choose The General? Its actually thebestcarwins.com. Once youre there, feel free to fill out your own opinion about which brands are the best at various metrics (efficiency, safety, quality, etc). And when youre done, you can see the top-ranked brands based on visitor selections. Surprise! None of them are GM brands. Congratulations General Motors, youre doing a fine job advertising for the competition.
NYT http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/11/business/11gm.html
--
Civis Romanus Sum

That may be your opinion and you, like every other buyer, can spend YOUR money were you choose.
However the only true test of what BUYERS believe is, in where they are willing to spend their hard earned money and what they actually buy. The fact is more buyers still buy more vehicles from GM than any other manufacturer in the US, period.

*This* is one reason GM is where it is today. Even if they do something like giving a 60 day refund on a brand new vehicle (something no other manufacture does), people can still find ways to make that sound bad. GM is offering you the option of returning your vehicle within 60 days if you don't like it. What the hell is wrong with that? If one of the Jap brands were to do that, people would be praising them for weeks.
80 Knight wrote:

A long term warranty, bumper-bumper & power train, would seem to be a better indicator of confidence in the product. It will be interesting to see how this 60 day money back warranty is received by the public.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

I disagree. What could be better then a 3 month money back guarantee? You buy the car, and if you don't like it, you take it back. Yes, I agree a better warranty would also be nice, but even you have to admit a 3 month money back guarantee is a good thing.

Hey, I thought 60 days was about 2 months. Sort of makes me think GM has perfected the 61 day car, but I won't say that. But aside from all else, it's a good thing.
--Vic

LOL Thanks Vic. I wasn't thinking when I typed that.
80 Knight wrote:

<pause to grit teeth> True.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Depends. Need to read the fine print. It might say something like "if you buy a competators vehicle in 60 days we will refund your purchase minus millage at 25c ents per mile.
Now if you are a marginal credit type, actually buying the second one will become an issue. LOL.
Lets see the fine print. Otherwise I might try one for a week coming up to drive to Alaska. Then decide I don't like it and turn it in. But I doubt this isn't without fine print.

And why should it be?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

That seems generous. From what I read, you have from day 31 to day 60 to return the car. Payments have to be current. They make you keep it for 31 days and that seems fair too, to be sure you like/dislike the car. Does not apply to leased vehicles.

Gone are the days of telling as it is. GM BS reigns.
GM offer is not a warranty, it is a guaranty. Who buys a vehicle based on the warranty anyway?

I have to give you credit there. Unlike Canuck, you can actually admit when something is good. Time will tell how good it actually is, and how well it will be received, but the fact that you can at least admit it is a decent idea, tells me you may not be the Troll I thought you were.

This has been done before. IIRC, it was Chrysler and the fine print made it an expensive test drive. It was not a 100% refund.
IMO, it is more gimmick that real meat. Very few drivers are unhappy with their purchase after a short time and not many serious problems come up in the 60 day time frame. Let's see the fine print first. You may not take a big hit if you buy what you perceive to be a real dog, but it may be costly.
I do know of at least 3 people that have traded cars in less than 6 months for a variety of reasons (too small, too fast, not enough power to tow) and each took a big bath. This may have helped them.
If it gets people to the showroom, it works.

With all due respect to you, I dont think so. This sort of promotion brings up organisms from deep in the mud, unless it is so crafted that only the wealthy and responsible are considered. It is really unlikely that a significant number of people would get pissed enough at a new car in that period of time to take the car back....unless they couldnt pay for it of course.
All I want from GM is good long term durability and quality, without all the built-in "gotchas". And you know the ones I am talking about...we have discussed it often enough.
wrote in message

See what I mean? Some people just can't be pleased. What kind of return warranty did you're Toyota come with, HLS? People seem to think the 60-day money back guarantee is all based on the car falling apart in that time. What about liking the car? If you go to WalMart, buy a TV, and don't like it, you can return it. You can't usually do this with cars, so GM is trying. I think it's a great idea. And yes, I know all about the troubles you have had with your car built in the 90's. They don't even build that motor anymore, so with respect to you, I think it's time to move on from that. If the owner of a 3800 II engine does proper maintenance, and realizes the problem, they have plenty of time to repair it, and after that is done, those engines are bullet proof.
wrote in message

I dont want any return warranty, 80, and having a 60 day one wouldnt influence me to buy any car...
A 60 day "bring it back if you dont like it" is, for me, pure bullshit.
What I want is a car that has a good warranty and that the company will stand behind.
I have never had to take either of my new cars to a dealership for repair.

Yes, I need to get past it, as you say. With those engines, you DID NOT have time to repair it. When ours failed, it went from perfectly okay to cylinders full of water while my wife was driving home from her bridge game...less than a mile. Sudden catastrophic failure, I would call it. And what I am really pissed about is that GM knew about this for almost 10 years, and did nothing.
Once repaired with good parts, the engines are, as you say, almost bullet proof.
wrote in message

In other words, your Toyota didn't come with a return warranty what so ever.

Did you ever stop to think some people may just not like the car? Not everyone is worried about warranty work in the first 60 days. Some people may just not like the car, from a comfort standpoint, a look standpoint, or for whatever reason, so they can take it back. I've seen you and others say "GM should put there money where there mouth is", and if you have seen the new commercial about the 60 day money back guarantee, GM's new chairman says they are doing *exactly* that. Check it out here, if you haven't seen it: http://blog.leasetrader.com/archive/2009/09/14/GM-General-Motors-offers-60-day-money-back-guarantee-commercial.aspx

Well, let's see. Let's compare your 2007 Solara to a 2007 Pontiac G6:
Solara: Pontiac G6 Basic: 3 Year / 36,000 Miles 3 Year / 36,000 Miles Drivetrain: 5 Year / 60,000 Miles 5 Year / 100,000 Miles It would seem that GM offered a better warranty then Toyota did when you bought your vehicle. See what I mean? Some people will think what they want to think, regardless of the facts.

Then I must ask an obvious question. If you have never required warranty work on your Toyota's, how do you know they will stand behind your two cars?

Having time to repair the engine depended on the severity of the problem. Most were able to be repaired before severe engine damage occurred.

And you know I totally agree with that. I'm still pissed at Toyota because of the engine sludge problems years ago, but should I apply that hatred to there current vehicles?