GM Advertising Is Insane

"...buyer's remorse comes standard on most GM vehicles..."

GM Advertising Is Insane

GM?s new ad campaign, featuring Chairman Ed Whitacre, centers around the catchphrase ?may the best car win.? According to the New York Times, the lure to new buyers will be a 60-day refund on any new GM product. In short, the perfect way to remind shoppers that buyer?s remorse comes standard on most GM vehicles. But that?s not even the craziest part of GM?s latest bid for consideration. To find out more, let?s just surf over to maythebestcarwin.com?

Oops! The site, name and branding concept behind GM?s next big marketing thing has already been taken! By Yamaha! For a golf car(t)! Bold Moves!

Seriously though, where can we learn more about why choosy consumers should choose The General? It?s actually thebestcarwins.com. Once you?re there, feel free to fill out your own opinion about which brands are the best at various metrics (efficiency, safety, quality, etc). And when you?re done, you can see the top-ranked brands based on visitor selections. Surprise! None of them are GM brands. Congratulations General Motors, you?re doing a fine job advertising for the competition.

NYT

Jim Higgins

That may be your opinion and you, like every other buyer, can spend YOUR money were you choose.

However the only true test of what BUYERS believe is, in where they are willing to spend their hard earned money and what they actually buy. The fact is more buyers still buy more vehicles from GM than any other manufacturer in the US, period.

Reply to
Mike

*This* is one reason GM is where it is today. Even if they do something like giving a 60 day refund on a brand new vehicle (something no other manufacture does), people can still find ways to make that sound bad. GM is offering you the option of returning your vehicle within 60 days if you don't like it. What the hell is wrong with that? If one of the Jap brands were to do that, people would be praising them for weeks.
Reply to
80 Knight

A long term warranty, bumper-bumper & power train, would seem to be a better indicator of confidence in the product. It will be interesting to see how this 60 day money back warranty is received by the public.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

I disagree. What could be better then a 3 month money back guarantee? You buy the car, and if you don't like it, you take it back. Yes, I agree a better warranty would also be nice, but even you have to admit a 3 month money back guarantee is a good thing.

Reply to
80 Knight

Hey, I thought 60 days was about 2 months. Sort of makes me think GM has perfected the 61 day car, but I won't say that. But aside from all else, it's a good thing.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

YA' THINK? LOL

Reply to
Mike

LOL Thanks Vic. I wasn't thinking when I typed that.

Reply to
80 Knight

True.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Depends. Need to read the fine print. It might say something like "if you buy a competators vehicle in 60 days we will refund your purchase minus millage at 25c ents per mile.

Now if you are a marginal credit type, actually buying the second one will become an issue. LOL.

Lets see the fine print. Otherwise I might try one for a week coming up to drive to Alaska. Then decide I don't like it and turn it in. But I doubt this isn't without fine print.

Reply to
Canuck57

This has been done before. IIRC, it was Chrysler and the fine print made it an expensive test drive. It was not a 100% refund.

IMO, it is more gimmick that real meat. Very few drivers are unhappy with their purchase after a short time and not many serious problems come up in the 60 day time frame. Let's see the fine print first. You may not take a big hit if you buy what you perceive to be a real dog, but it may be costly.

I do know of at least 3 people that have traded cars in less than 6 months for a variety of reasons (too small, too fast, not enough power to tow) and each took a big bath. This may have helped them.

If it gets people to the showroom, it works.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And why should it be?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There is a 4,000 mile limit

Reply to
Mike

GM offer is not a warranty, it is a guaranty. Who buys a vehicle based on the warranty anyway?

Reply to
Mike

That seems generous. From what I read, you have from day 31 to day 60 to return the car. Payments have to be current. They make you keep it for 31 days and that seems fair too, to be sure you like/dislike the car. Does not apply to leased vehicles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Gone are the days of telling as it is. GM BS reigns.

Reply to
Canuck57

I have to give you credit there. Unlike Canuck, you can actually admit when something is good. Time will tell how good it actually is, and how well it will be received, but the fact that you can at least admit it is a decent idea, tells me you may not be the Troll I thought you were.

Reply to
80 Knight

Perfect example of American news reporting at its worst. How about simply reporting that GM is offering a 60 day refund on a purchase of one of their products??? Unless they are lying, that is news. Facts. If the media machine deems such information to be of such little importance to report in the first place, then it is another argument. If the media DOES report such things, then they should report FACTS only, and leave out such terms as "buyers remorse", as the "news" article simply becomes another editorial slamming GM.

I can't possibly see how a 60 day free trial period of any product being sold could be bad. Hell, I would love to see a 60 day period on this newsgroup free of Jimbo!

Reply to
jr92

Perfect example of American news reporting at its worst. How about simply reporting that GM is offering a 60 day refund on a purchase of one of their products??? Unless they are lying, that is news. Facts. If the media machine deems such information to be of such little importance to report in the first place, then it is another argument. If the media DOES report such things, then they should report FACTS only, and leave out such terms as "buyers remorse", as the "news" article simply becomes another editorial slamming GM.

I can't possibly see how a 60 day free trial period of any product being sold could be bad. Hell, I would love to see a 60 day period on this newsgroup free of Jimbo! ========================================================

I told Jim I actually give him credit, because he can at least admit when something is good. That is a hell of a lot more then can be said for Canuck.

Reply to
80 Knight

With all due respect to you, I dont think so. This sort of promotion brings up organisms from deep in the mud, unless it is so crafted that only the wealthy and responsible are considered. It is really unlikely that a significant number of people would get pissed enough at a new car in that period of time to take the car back....unless they couldnt pay for it of course.

All I want from GM is good long term durability and quality, without all the built-in "gotchas". And you know the ones I am talking about...we have discussed it often enough.

Reply to
hls