GM, Ford reputations take a hit

Page 7 of 8  
You are free to believe whatever you chose, but lets apply some logic that easily disproves your 'many different vehicles' theory for more than one
digit being assigned to the US, rather than just one as is the case for other countries.
Most ambulances are build on Ford truck chasses and thus use Ford VIN numbers. A piece of farm equipment, or whatever, would have the manufacture designated by the digit following by the first digit that would be different from each other and different than a car or truck manufacturer. The body, plant, engine etc., numbers would all be different as well. The digit that defines the type of SRS would not even be needed on most. If the number built, of a single manufacturer of a single model, with single engine in a specific assembly plant exceed the six sequential number assigned to those particular vehicles, the check digit is changed allowing for 999,999 more to be built in that plant, of a single manufacturer, of a single model, with single engine
Knowing that, what in the world leads your opinion that it is the number of vehicles that requires the US to use 1, 4 or 5? If that is all of the evidence, as you call it, you found, do more search WBMA. The government body that defines WHICH number, 1, 4 and 5 as they apply to vehicles assembled in the US, is the US Department of Commerce
mike

<snip>
the reason why there are three different first digits

> Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Still having a problem with logic when it comes to VINs I see. Tell me from your source what YOU know to be the number or letter that is applied to the VIN for the engine in a 500? The body code for an F150 RWD and 4WD. How about a E150, or a Lincoln Town Car? How about the letter for the drive type for a Caterpillar dozer, or the engine type on a Harley Fat boy? ;)
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
When did I ever say anything about the US code? Try looking in the right place, WBMA. I might point out you can NOT find anything that would lead you to believe your 'so many different vehicles' theory either because that is not factual. You might also look to the FTC to find the Honda complaint about Toyotas misleading advertising, regarding 1, 4 and 5 as well ;)
Please stop saying I got my information from a other engineer, that is not what I said.. What I did get from him was the place to find the reason for the three different numbers assigned to vehicles assemble in the US, rather than just one.
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:20:12 -0500, Mike Hunter got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

I dunno - you're top posting, so we have no idea what you said.
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
Read that, or the other 110,000 google hits for why top posting is bad style.
--
kai

Free Compean and Ramos
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

OH NO!! Does AL Gore know about that!! One of our greatest natural resources: VIN's - wasted :)
Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No one said the VINs are wasted. I drank a bottle of soda this morning. Now it's gone. But it wasn't wasted.
Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jeff wrote:

It was a joke (notice smiley face). Don't analyze it.
Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with the letter 'x')
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Keep searching, you will find it but not in the US code
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Full-sized trucks" Funny use of English in America.
You are not talking about proper full-size trucks, presumably :-)
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/trucks.html
DAS
For direct contact replace nospam with schmetterling
--
"Mike Hunter" < snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net...
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/trucks.html
No, only improper full-sized trucks.
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

now in big trouble. Unfortunately their car selection, particularly from Chrysler is very slim, not enough choice of cars to compete in that category.
As a result Chrysler is into big layoffs, while people like myself don't see a Chrysler model to replace what we have. http://money.cnn.com/2001/01/29/europe/daimler /

hole by not providing product continuity. I'm sticking with my Concord for now, the longest I've ever kept a car. If for some reason I need a replacement soon it won't be Chrysler because they have no product for me. They did it too themselves.
Today I was in a Toyota dealer which I knew had some connection with my Chrysler dealer. I learned the connection was very close, the same owner who sold his Chrysler dealership last year. Very smart of him, he obviously saw the writing on the wall.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

XXX

That ex GM part company that can't make money imports most of their parts they sell to the Big 2.5.

Toyota is a big parts producer in the USA and also buys many parts from NA companies such as Magna.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What is your point? GM , Ford and Chrysler buy a lot more parts made in the US than does Toyota or any other import brand for that matter. Toyota buys most of the part from other Japanese companies. Notice from whom Toyota buys all of their steel and tires and most of their parts?
Honda and Nissan do build the Accord as well as Altima and Titan in the US, that is why they have a '1' as the first number of the VIN. Toyota on the other hand have a 4 or 5 and only assembled in the US. READ Toyota ads about what they say are used to assemble their vehicles in the US, 'Imported parts'
. mike
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Get real, You apparently do not understand what you read. How can we possibly 'run out' of VINs? Individual VINs change annual and they vary by manufacture, plant, body, SRS type, engine, model year, check digit, etc as well as the sequential build number up to 999,999 Few of which stays constant yearly LOL
mike

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.