Gm's new discount

I'm curious why no one here has yet mentioned the fact that GM is now offering its employee discount to everyone for the next month or so.

Sounds like desperation to me. I noticed the stock dropped a small bit after the announcement so it seems to me that others do not see it as a positive move either.

And please don't think I'm bashing GM. I'm a loyal GM customer! Only cars I've bought have been GM:

1992 Cavalier (sold in 96 at 105k miles) 1996 Beretta (traded in on the vette at 33k miles) 1996 Corvette (still have it at 14k. It's a garage queen!) 1996 Beretta (demo after the first snowfall here in Chicago in the vette. Still have it at 129k miles.)

I'm simply worried about Toyota, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

Not desperate only trying to clean out 2005 inventory. You will also find that the so called employee discount isn't the same as the real employee 'GMS' discount but close to it.

Reply to
No One You Know

Last month they had $5500 off Tahoes (or was it the suburban?) now its the 'Employee' cost plus $3000 off, where did the other $2500 go? I'll give you one guess...

Its just another sales gimmick to draw in customers to buy out the 2005 inventory before everyone else starts their sales.

Reply to
Paradox

It's no big secret. Higher fuel prices are hurting both GM and Ford because their major sellers are trucks and SUV's so now they have to find a way to move then out. Stock prices always dip after an announced sale because traders know that it will be harder for a company to meet projected profit numbers with a sale going on. High gas prices don't affect Toyota, Nissan, etc. as much because their larger trucks and SUV's only account for a very small fraction of their sales so a dip in the number of those units sold has a smaller impact on their bottom line and no need to have a big sale. If/when gas prices drop or when we get used to it's current price and are comfortable again sales of trucks and SUV's will rise again.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

The $3000 was the GM discount. The $2500 was the dealer discounting. Perhaps you can still get that out of him.

Reply to
Rich256

It is the same GMS discount plus a customer that does not work for GM can use a GM credit card rebate as well where most employees cant use the discount. The price on the sticker that GM sent out is the GMS price per the invoice of all the units less the rebate.

Reply to
John

Many thanks to all who have responded!

Lots of great knowledge and wisdom in here!

Thanks again.

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559