GM's return policy may not be worth the hassle

HLS, I wasn't saying you avoid GM because of this program. I know why you avoid GM, and your reasons are valid IMHO. What I was saying is department stores, electronics stores, etc. have been offering a money back guarantee (what you call a 'trial ownership') for decades.

Of course doing research on something you wish to purchase, and talking to existing owners is a good idea. All I am saying is it doesn't matter how much someone else likes it, or how good the reviews are, you may love it when you test drive it, and the day you get it home, but after you drive it for a couple of days, you may start to hate the way it feels, steers, the way the stereo sounds, or anything else. If that is the case, GM is giving you the opportunity to return the car. I don't see that as trying to cheat poor people. I think it's a damned good idea.

Reply to
80 Knight

There is some basis for this. You may know, I had my eyes on a new Porsche recently. Did the research, and everything looked pretty good.

But when I took a test drive, I knew then that I did not like this car and would not be buying it. Things like that, you only know after a test drive. And if you want to consider this program a "long test drive", sobeit.

Not for me, but let's see how it plays out for GM>

Reply to
hls

Perhaps, but Toyota and Honda do not offer anything like it.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

But, but, but why do Toyota and Honda not allow one to return a car when they change their mind?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Where do you get the goofy idea GM looses money when the sell a vehicle?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Don't you EVER do any research before you send off your goofy posts? GM is set to pay off their government loans a year or more before they are due, dummy.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are arguing with people in the NG that most likely never owned a NEW car. Why piss away your time on the used car buyers that populate the NGs?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What really impresses me, aside from the ride, economy, and design appeal, of any automobile is a good warranty. If a company is proud and sure enough of its product to give a really strong warranty, that means a lot... perhaps more than anything else, once the deal is done.

There is some little bit of protection with the lemon law. If you really get a bad one (and this happens from time to time), this can slap the manufacturer on the head and get you a good car.

Reply to
hls

LMAO, when is that, never?

Simple math, over $65 billion taxpayers cash. Optimistically 12 minion autos per year. Say GM optimistically keeps a 20% share.

Lets say taxpayers money is free, which while BO Obama might think so it isn't.

Ok, in 10 years with zero interest that is $2708 per auto pure profit. And GM is going to do that when they lost $18 billion last quarter?

You have your head firmly stuck right up your arse.

Reply to
Canuck57

GM financials are due out soon. In 2 days actually. Read and weep.

GM sells each car witha taxpayer debt subsidy.

Reply to
Canuck57

They don't need to, they are not desperate on the dole.

Reply to
Canuck57

I still don't get what your beef is.

I know someone that would have taken the 60 day deal if it was offered. He does not fit your profile at all, he is well educated and has an income of about mid six figures. He bought a Caddy Catera. After a couple of weeks, he did not like it. After 30 days, he'd have gladly taken it back under the deal being offered. He ended up keeping the Catera for two years and taking a big loss in depreciation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I dont have a beef, as such. I just think this program is stupid.

Reply to
hls

Your record on predictions has been dismal thus far. The GM government loans will be paid off by 2013, two years before they are to come due, dummy. Every one of it current brands will have a full line of products within two years.

The fact is GM is making a profit in every vehicle it sells but it has been investing billions in new plants and products, that are proving to be better than many from the competition. READ the customer survey and look at the CAFE guide, WBMA

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are wrong again. Toyota and Honda have been subsidized by the Japanese government ever since WWII, and both lost money since the beginning of the year, dummy.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

But, but, but, you are not a prospect new car buyer, you are a used car buyer.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually, I predicted GM would go bankrupt while you said they would not.

Dream on.

No one knows for sure the last time GM made a profit. They made a big stink about 5 years ago about making money but restated to a lost about 2 years ago.

GM is dying company. Just time, when the fed gets cash strapped GM will go under once and for all.

Reply to
Canuck57

You should remove the blinders that you bought from canuck before they become permanently attached. If it isn't too late......

Reply to
Dave

I never said the new GM was currently earning a profit. What I said was they are making a profit on every vehicle they sell and that is a fact.

It is the cost of bringing so many totally new outstanding models to market that is keeping the corporation from earn a profit at this time, dummy.

As I said your record on predictions has been dismal thus far, there is little chance you current ranting will be as well LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Is that drunken CAW/UAW math?

How many times in my life have I hear defunct auto say a new model will solve their problems just to see them skid on their arses when the fat lady sings. You are gullable if you think this time is any different.

Harly, I predicted GM & Chrysler bankruptcies while idiots like you said it would never happen.

Round 2 of this recession is coming, and GM is going to be back in chapter

11/7 before it is done it's course.
Reply to
Canuck57