GM's return policy may not be worth the hassle

Page 2 of 3

The alternative, of course, is to offer them nothing.
I don' t know how you arrived at this is aimed at people that can least afford a decent car. The offer this on the high end cars too. How many people will buy the Lucerne on the 60 day trial because they can't afford a used Corolla?
Sure, it is an advertising gimmick, but it is not difficult to comply with the terms. My car is approaching 3 years and it still does not have that $200 in damage allowed. Nor am I dead.
wrote in message

We have already gone through all the "cons" about the offer. None seem out of the ordinary.

This makes no sense. Are you saying people who can't afford a decent car are stupid? 'Cause, if your not, I don't understand what you are trying to say. To me, this offer is great for anyone, and would be great on any model of car from any manufacture. If I buy a TV from Wal-Mart, and don't like it, I can bring it back (even if it's a $3000 plasma), but what if you don't like how your new car drives, or feels on a long trip? Sure, you can research the car you like, test drive it, and so on, but do you really know how you are going to like it until you get it home? I doubt it. This offer lets you take the car back if you don't like it. I don't see how that only applies to poor people.
To me, this offer is great for anyone, and would be great on any model

I reiterate.. this is a stupid promotion. It is not a great deal for anyone.
wrote in message

Stupid is a harsh word. There is no cure for stupid.. There is a cure for ignorant.
People who are ignorant, and poor or of modest income, and who want to get what appears to be something for nothing might be enticed. And if they get tangled in the system, who really cares?
I wouldnt take a 60 trial ownership of any car. It makes no sense.
wrote in message

You have to qualify for the purchase, Pay full amount, or finance with applicable down payment, all taxes, title fees. etc. under todays financing rules that means a good credit score etc. if you return it you wont get your trade in back only the amount paid so your trade in amount would have been below resale amout you could have got selling it to a private person etc. So if you are just trying it out for a test then return it its going to cost you. I dont think that people who cant afford a car will be buying and returning/

I agree, they probably will not buy and return. That is what makes this plan look ridiculous to me.
Dealerships have, in the past, played some real games with people's credit, however. My ex-brother in law worked at a Cadillac dealership in one of the three largest towns in Texas. I know some of the stunts he pulled to get people into cars they probably couldnt afford. And, they thought it was good fun to take these people's used cars for nothing and sell them the new car for full price. Smoke and mirrors, plus people who are salivating to have a new car.
There was one cultural subsegment that they targeted in particular. You can probably guess.

HLS, your not making any sense here. GM's return plan has absolutely nothing to do with helping people with lower income's obtain a car. It isn't a loan program, or a finance program, and it isn't offering them a better price for a vehicle. It's a return policy, nothing more. I think you are seeing more here then there actually is to see.

You should remove the blinders that you bought from canuck before they become permanently attached. If it isn't too late......
You are arguing with people in the NG that most likely never owned a NEW car. Why piss away your time on the used car buyers that populate the NGs?
wrote in message

wrote in message

Huh? How is anyone getting something for nothing? GM isn't giving you a car for free to try for 60 days. You have to pay for it up front, and if you don't like it, and return it, then and only then do you get your money back. Do you avoid Wal-Mart and other department stores because they have a "trial ownership" too?
avoid Wal-Mart and other department stores because they have a

\Knight, I like you, but I think you have fallen out of a tree.
I dont avoid GM because they offer this stupid program. It is just, IMO, a stupid promotion...
I dont know that I have ever bought anything that carried a trial ownership, and the thought of it just doesnt appeal to me. I make my decisions, usually based on research, reports, owners....then I buy....or not.
I just think trial ownership is stupid...a waste of time.
wrote in message news:_-6dnYOi- Do you

HLS, I wasn't saying you avoid GM because of this program. I know why you avoid GM, and your reasons are valid IMHO. What I was saying is department stores, electronics stores, etc. have been offering a money back guarantee (what you call a 'trial ownership') for decades.

Of course doing research on something you wish to purchase, and talking to existing owners is a good idea. All I am saying is it doesn't matter how much someone else likes it, or how good the reviews are, you may love it when you test drive it, and the day you get it home, but after you drive it for a couple of days, you may start to hate the way it feels, steers, the way the stereo sounds, or anything else. If that is the case, GM is giving you the opportunity to return the car. I don't see that as trying to cheat poor people. I think it's a damned good idea.
All I am saying is it doesn't matter how

There is some basis for this. You may know, I had my eyes on a new Porsche recently. Did the research, and everything looked pretty good.
But when I took a test drive, I knew then that I did not like this car and would not be buying it. Things like that, you only know after a test drive. And if you want to consider this program a "long test drive", sobeit.
Not for me, but let's see how it plays out for GM>
All I am saying is it doesn't matter how

What really impresses me, aside from the ride, economy, and design appeal, of any automobile is a good warranty. If a company is proud and sure enough of its product to give a really strong warranty, that means a lot... perhaps more than anything else, once the deal is done.
There is some little bit of protection with the lemon law. If you really get a bad one (and this happens from time to time), this can slap the manufacturer on the head and get you a good car.

I still don't get what your beef is.
I know someone that would have taken the 60 day deal if it was offered. He does not fit your profile at all, he is well educated and has an income of about mid six figures. He bought a Caddy Catera. After a couple of weeks, he did not like it. After 30 days, he'd have gladly taken it back under the deal being offered. He ended up keeping the Catera for two years and taking a big loss in depreciation.
wrote in message

But, but, but, you are not a prospect new car buyer, you are a used car buyer.
wrote in message

And, of course, if you purchase a similar Toyota Camry, and realize that you don't like it, and the automoble fits the above mentioned 7 criteria that GM demands, you can return your Camry, no questions asked, right???????
You really can, right??????

that you don't like it, and the automoble fits the above mentioned 7 criteria that GM demands, you can return your Camry, no questions asked, right??????? You really can, right?????? =============================================== *Not a chance. If you read what I posted below, you would see that even a $5 shirt from Wal-Mart has similar restrictions on returns.

And, of course, if you purchase a similar Toyota Camry, and realize that you don't like it, and the automoble fits the above mentioned 7 criteria that GM demands, you can return your Camry, no questions asked, right???????
******* Im sure you can get rid of it, but it will cost you some money. If it is a certifiable "lemon", you can get out from under it.
If you just made a poor buying choice, you will have to pay for your mistake.
The GM deal will cost somebody money too. There is no free lunch.