Harmonic Balancer Broke

Started up the car about 4pm and heard one hell of a racket under the hood. Open the hood to inspect. The noise was there at idle but went away if you give it the gas.
I slipped the belt off to test the pulleys but didn't grasp the harmonic balancer at this time.
The noise sounded more like it was internal.
After supper I slipped the belt off again and grabbed the HB pulley and it was spinning around the rubber hub.
Always nice to be grounded for the holiday.
Also today, mother's LF stabalizer pin broke on her car.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,491 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
When it rains it pours. Sorry to hear about you run of bad luck.
Craig
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:32:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Craig Watts wrote:

Wrap some duct tape around it :)
I had the same problem with my Bonneville last year during cold winter months. 350 dollars later it is back on the road. Then my alternator shaft bent or rattle like hell a week later. Another 150 dollars later and now run as good as new.
(Harry Face)

Harry Face wrote:

I feel for you.. I would have cried, if it were me......
so close to 300,000........ and a shoe had to drop.
My cost is for the Harmonic Balancer is $138 for AC Delco at the Chevy dealer my buddy works at.
Another mechanic friend with the crankshaft sensor line up tool will install the new HB for peanuts....
2005 ~_~_~_~_ On The Road Again...........
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,522 miles_~_~_