Help: 94 Olds OBD-I questio

Page 1 of 2
my 94 Olds has a OBD-I ECM but a OBD-II 16 pin connector. My check engine lamp is lit and the car has a miss throughout the rpm range.
I also have an 86 Astro with the 12 pin connector. I can jumper two pins (the
"A" and the "M" pins) in the connector and get the check engine lamp to blink out any trouble codes.
Can I do this on the 94 Olds by jumpering pins 05 and 09?
TIA snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
No, but I maybe able to help you out.
Just pass along the VIN. (you can leave out the last 4-5 digits if you like)
Steve

Steve,
here is the vin: 1G3HN52L3R482....
bILL
wrote:

remove all "f"'s from address
I found the list of codes, now, can you solder? You will have to build an ALDL interface to connect your car to your computer. A laptop would help, doesn't have to be anything fancy, pentium class is okay. Or you could put a small computer in your garage, has to be within 20feet of the car.
Here's the schematic for the interface: http://pweb.de.uu.net/pr-meyer.h/aldl.htm . It shows the square ALDL connector, but yours is the 16 pin OBDII connector so you will use pin 9 for "M", pin 16 for "12V+" and pin 4 or 5 for GROUND. The other end connects to pins 2, 3 and 5 of a serial connector in the back of your computer. Parts shouldn't cost anymore than $20, it'll take an hour or so to assemble, and the software is free. You will need to then create a definition file for your car's data stream in the software, it's not hard, it's just a lot of typing. I use CarBytes from www.efilive.com.
It seems like a lot of work, but it's not. I just did it for my car, it took me a few days but I didn't have someone to talk to that did exactly what I wanted to do. I have no problem taking the time to walk you or anyone else through the process. It'll save money on diagnostics in the future. :)
Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- 9 HSTMLF01 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 1 0 HISTORY CODE 123 THROTTLE POSITION HIGH 1 HISTORY CODE 629 INVALID PASS KEY FREQUENCY 2 HISTORY CODE 341 INTERMITTENT CAM SIGNAL 3 HISTORY CODE 321 18X INTERRUPTS LOST 4 HISTORY CODE 630 BATTERY VOLTAGE OUT OF RANGE 5 HISTORY CODE 117 COOLANT SENSOR LOW 6 HISTORY CODE 118 COOLANT SENSOR HIGH 7 HISTORY CODE 134 ENGINE 02 SENSOR NOT ACTIVE 10 HSTMLF02 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 2 0 HISTORY CODE 140 CATALYST 02 SENSOR NOT ACTIVE 1 HISTORY CODE 137 CATALYST 02 SENSOR LOW 2 HISTORY CODE 138 CATALYST 02 SENSOR HIGH 3 HISTORY CODE 571 TRACTION CONTROL PWM INPUT OUT OF RANGE 4 HISTORY CODE 113 AIR TEMP SENSOR HIGH 5 HISTORY CODE 502 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR LOW 6 HISTORY CODE 112 AIR TEMP SENSOR LOW 7 HISTORY CODE 122 THROTTLE POSITION LOW 11 HSTMLF03 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 3 0 HISTORY CODE 703 BRAKE SWITCH FAILURE 1 HISTORY CODE 501 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR FAILURE 2 HISTORY CODE 755 F31 TRANSMISSION SOLENOID B FAILURE 3 HISTORY CODE 361 EST LINE NOT TOGGLING 4 HISTORY CODE 101 MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR FAILURE 5 HISTORY CODE 619 OIL CHANGED INPUT FAULT 6 HISTORY CODE 705 PRNDL SWITCH FAILURE 7 HISTORY CODE 680 QDM5 FAILURE 12 HSTMLF04 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 4 0 HISTORY CODE 640 QDM1 FAILURE 1 HISTORY CODE 650 QDM2 FAILURE 2 HISTORY CODE 132 ENGINE 02 SENSOR HIGH 3 HISTORY CODE 131 ENGINE 02 SENSOR LOW 4 HISTORY CODE 325 ESC FAILURE 5 HISTORY CODE 350 EST FAILURE 6 HISTORY CODE 342 CAM SENSOR FAILURE 7 HISTORY CODE 740 TCC FAILURE 13 HSTMLF05 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 5 0 HISTORY CODE 550 STEPPER MOTOR CRUZ PROBLEM 1 HISTORY CODE 712 TRANSMISSION TEMP. SENSOR LOW 2 HISTORY CODE 713 TRANSMISSION TEMP. SENSOR HIGH 3 HISTORY CODE 625 HARDWARE RESET 4 HISTORY CODE 660 QDM3 FAILURE 5 HISTORY CODE 623 PROM ERROR 6 HISTORY CODE 599 IN CRUZ POWER MANAGEMENT 7 HISTORY CODE 670 QDM4 FAILURE 14 HSTMLF06 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 6 0 HISTORY CODE 401 OBD1 DELTA RPM LINEAR EGR FLOW FAILURE 1 HISTORY CODE 406 LINEAR EGR PINTLE POSITION ERROR 2 HISTORY CODE 558 CRUISE VACUUM DEPLETION 3 HISTORY CODE 562 VAC MALFUNTION 4 HISTORY CODE 561 VENT MALFUNCTION 5 HISTORY CODE 531 A/C LOW FREON 6 HISTORY CODE 599 626 VATS FAILURE 7 HISTORY CODE 670 257 BOOST CONTROL FAILURE (OVERBOOST)
15 HSTMLF07 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 7 0 HISTORY CODE 274 INJECTORS WIRED INCORRECTLY 1 HISTORY CODE 573 LOSS OF SERIAL DATA ABS MSG 91 2 HISTORY CODE 530 A/C PRESSURE SWITCH FAILURE 3 HISTORY CODE 565 CRUZ SERVO POSITION SENSOR FAILURE 4 HISTORY CODE 568 CRUZ SYSTEM MALFUNCTION 5 HISTORY CODE 567 CRUZ SWITCH MALFUNCTION 6 HISTORY CODE NOT USED 7 HISTORY CODE 624 SOFTWARE RESET 16 HSTMLF08 HISTORY MALFUNCTION FLAG WORD 8 0 HISTORY CODE 125 CLOSED LOOP MIN. COOLANT TEMP. NOT MET IN TIME 1 HISTORY CODE 171 FUEL TRIM LEAN 2 HISTORY CODE 172 FUEL TRIM RICH 3 HISTORY CODE 300 MISFIRE DETECTED 4 HISTORY CODE 400 OBD2 DELTA RPM LINEAR EGR FLOW FAILURE 5 HISTORY CODE 503 OBD2 DELTA MAP LINEAR EGR FLOW FAILURE 6 HISTORY CODE 420 CATALYST MONITOR MALFUNCTION 7 HISTORY CODE 484 LINEAR EGR FEEDPIPE FAILURE
Steve,
Excellent! That is just what I was looking to do. Yes I can solder. Where did you get the parts, radio shack?
Where do I get the "definition table" info?
Thanks, Bill
wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

I got the parts at a local electronic store. RadioShack is overpriced and they have to special order everything. I got the board at RadioShack though. Try to get non-polar capacitors because they are cheaper, but they are hard to come buy. The schematic isn't drawn correctly, the "+" side of the caps are not clear. The solid black line is "-" in this schematic. Also make sure you get a MAX232 and a socket for this IC. Solder the socket to the board, then when the board is complete insert the chip. Just so you are not applying any heat to the IC, if you didn't already know.
Go here: ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/ and download "ALDLstuff.zip". Look up your engine/vehicle in "index.doc" and refer to the appropriate "*.ds" file.I did this already and your ECM datastream file is "A221.DS". You have to manually enter this info into a CarBytes definition file. To make it easier on you, I can send you one of my definition files for a domestic GM example.
Steve
Yes, ok, go ahead and email the example ds file. I tried Fry's for the parts today and they didn't have the IC. Will call around tomorrow.
Thanks for all the help.
Bill
wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
I put the file here: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/steve.mackie/1995z34_ECM00.ald
They should be able to order the IC and have within two days. It's a very common, widely used IC.
Steve

Steve
I bought all the parts for the ALDL interface today: $21.50 The breadboard was $11.95 and the MAX232 $4.95. I will let you know if it worked.
Thanks for the help.
Bill
wrote:

remove all "f"'s from address

Keep us informed.... :)
Ok, I finally finished building the interface. It's not pretty, but neither am I. Take a look:
http://www.maxchemicals.com/interface.jpg
I haven't plugged it in yet. Now I am working on configuring the CarBytes2 software. I am running WinXP on the laptop I hope that will work.
Steve are you going to be around online today? I think I am going to need some advice on the CarBytes program.
Bill
wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

I am here now :)
LOL, I should take a pic of mine, it looks a lot worse. Big blobs of solder and stuff.
I am on MSN Messenger as steve snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com in the garage and snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com when I am upstairs.
Steve
Steve: I sent you an email.
wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

I replied ;)
Steve, reply via email again. The stupid mail server blocked your mail. thanks.
wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Steve,
I found the problem, I had the voltage regulator in backwards. Its blocn now: output.10V. I will have to wait until tomorrow to fix because everything is closed today. Happy holiday in Can.
Bill Still struggling to read the ECM.

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
The output should be 5V, not 10V.

I am on MSN Messenger at steve snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Steve: read email.
wrote:

remove all "f"'s from address
Steve, ok, I see what you did. You skipped the missing data words but fixed the offset in the following words. Still trying to figure out why I am getting garbage malf's.
wrote:

remove all "f"'s from address