Help: 94 Olds OBD-I questio

I am on MSN Messenger at steve snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Whoosh....right over my head and beyond my skills........refuse to learn........

ain't gonna do it. Maybe I could just drive over with my 94 Buick and you could scan it for me?

john

Reply to
asadi

Are you even close enough to contemplate driving to my house?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Steve, ok, I see what you did. You skipped the missing data words but fixed the offset in the following words. Still trying to figure out why I am getting garbage malf's.

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

You can't just use the definition file that I sent you, that is for my car,

1995 Z34. You have to create a NEW definition file programmed using "A221.ds". That maybe where you problem lies. Mine is completely different from yours. If you read through, you will see my current MALFs and history MALFs are in ECM mode $01 message $00 bytes 49 thru 64. While your active MALFs are in ECM mode $01 message $00 bytes 58 thru 65 and your histroty MALF are scattered throughout ECM mode $01 message $01.

Tell you what I'll do, when I get some free time I will start a definition file for you car to read the MALFs and then you can take it from there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve, Yes, I came to realize that when sifting trought the Z34.ald file. Chock that up to ignorance on my behalf, of the CarBytes program. I think I am up to speed now and can create the 1994Olds.ald file. Thanks for the offer to start one for me.

So, as of now, I can comm with the ECM and can build an ald file (only 10 hours to get that far which will be worth it in the long run).

But, I have one remaining question: Do I need two .ald files, one for message

0 data stream and one for message 1 data stream? Where by I load message0.ald, get the data, save it to file, load message1.ald, get the data, and save it to disk?

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

I don't think that the MALF data type works. As an example, I save a data stream. Bytes 1 and two are the only defined in the ALDL Editor. Play the TEST.alg file. CarBytes will show that all MALF bits in byte 1 are zero when in fact some bits are set. Byte 2 decodes correctly when each bit is defined as an individual value.

Steve, I emailed you two files: TEST.alg and TEST.ald Try them and let me know if it is fact a bug in CarBytes (and a bad one at that).

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Yes, you need to make two seperate definition files.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve,

After much to do, building the ECM rs232 interface and learning what CarBytes can and can not do, the engine problem has been isolated. It was in the cam sensor circuit, The interrupter magnet on the camshaft came out and went into the oil pan. I will have to do some disassembly to fix it.

Many thanks for the online help with the interface, CarBytes, and codes. I would not have found the problem without your help. And now I have a valuable tool.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill