Re: Don't compare the PT Cruiser to a Gremlin

Joe wrote:

A tiny car like the Gremlin with a 304 V-8? I find those times really hard to believe. Maybe they loaded those statistics by matching the smallest engines available?

Overall length on a 72 Gremlin was 161 inches. A mid 80's Mustang was 181 inches. Not that much difference and those came with 5.0's all day long. I think we just remember them as tiny because everything else back then was so HUGE.
Steve B.
"Steve B." wrote:

FWIW, 5.0L = 305 CI.

hard to believe". I was trying to point out the car wasn't really all that little and similarly powered cars have been offered in recent years.
Steve B.

"Steve B." wrote:

Got it - thanks!

the Ford 5.0 is a 302 CI.. it works out to like 4.95l or something so they rounded it up.
-Bret

You could also get a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder, turbo or nonturbo, an inline six and the 5.0 V8 of course in a mid 80's Mustang.
Bret Chase wrote:

Close enough - 1% diff. Thanks for the info. - it's good to be accurate and precise.

Ford never made a 305... it's an insult to the 302 (or GM's 67-69 302) to call it such.
-Bret
Bret Chase wrote:

No one called it such. I simply did a conversion from the nominally stated 5.0 liters. I didn't realize it was an emotional number.

20 inches is a big difference when it comes to vehicles. A 2003 Neon: 174.4 inches. An Intrepid? 203.7 inches. That's less than 30 inches overall length between the smallest and largest models Dodge made that year.
A 2003 Caravan is 189.3 inches long (the Grand Caravan 200.5). So a Neon is less than 15 inches shorter than a Caravan, and the Intrepid is longer than a Grand Caravanl!
Incidently, a 2WD RAM regular-cab pickup with an 8' box is 229.7 inches long.
--Geoff
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Woa! All I knew about was the 304 - borrowed a friends a couple of times. Even that was dangerous in the hands of a youngster! 360 or 401!? I can't imagine.
I had the 300 Hz Omega version. Gave off an attractiveand impressive whine when held to the ear. Don't know where it is anymore.
Sigh.
DAS