Replace after accident?

Hi all. I was in an accident on 12/24/06. I hit a guy that backed out of his driveway without looking, I had no time to avoid the hit.

The damage to the front end I am told was minimal... That being I still had to have the bumper, hood, grill, right headlight assembly and quarter panel all new.

I just picked up the car after having the intake manifold gasket replaced and a tune up (total over $1100).

Given that, I have been told that after an accident, especially front end, it?s usually a good idea to get a "replacement car". One that has not been in an accident. The idea behind this is "hidden damage" to the vehicle.

The car seems ok.. but I am hearing a "whistle" noise, since it?s high winds today I?m not sure if it?s just the wind coming up through the engine... it?s very low and not consistent. I?m going to see if it?s there tomorrow.

I was wondering if you all recommend replacing the vehicle? I definately would not be buying new... it would be about two yrs old and probably 50K miles. Mine is an ?03 Buick Century with 93k miles.

Do you suggest replacing it or risking it?

Reply to
loriann

If the car was repaired properly, there is going to be no or minimal risk in driving it. If you suddenly wear out the front tire every three months, then ditch it. Otherwise, it may go another happy 90,000 miles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As a blanket statement Loriann, that is pure bunk. Your accident sounds very minor based on the repairs you described. It sounds to me like the person giving you advice does not really know anything about cars and is feeding you fear, uncertainty and doubt. (FUD). I will counter this claim with the absolute statement that it is categorically *not* a given that it's a "good idea" to get a "replacement car" after front end damage.

Take it back to the body shop that did the repairs and tell them about the whistling sound. Take them for a test drive and show them what you're talking about. It may be a door seal or the likes that they can quickly fix. First though - as silly as this sounds... are you completely sure you never had this sound before? A lot of times people "hear things" after a car repair...

Who can tell you that from a newsgroup? We can't even see the car. But... what I will tell you is that the advice you've been getting and that you've shared here is pure bull. I would not let myself get excited about things coming from this person.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks guys... after soaking that kind of money I?ve decided to keep the vehicle. I really like the buick as it is the best car I?ve ever owned as far as road safety on ice (love the traction control) and it?s more comfortable than a lot of other cars I?ve test driven. Good, reliable vehicle. Why put a tune-up on it only to turn around and have to do one on a different vehicle?

The damage being minimal my mechanic said that it?s fine, no need to dispose of it. But my reason for not listening to him is fear... fear they might want to leak me for every repair they can. Though my guy seems honest.. even tells me , for example, I needed new tires. He could of ordered them and charged me, but told me I would do better to drive down the road and buy them from the tire company, as he would have to increase the price! But still, single woman... and the infamous auto mechanic! :(

Reply to
loriann