Should I buy a GM? or should I jump ship?

Page 2 of 4

But Bush'll spend over 87 BILLION$$ on his Iraq adventure..... That's a lotta GM cars !
<rj>

We'd all better buy two or three each then! ;-)

IOn this note, I see a lot more Chinese parts creeping into GM lately. It may count as "domestic" product as ift was assembled in N. America, but the sub-components are more and more from offshore sources.
I don;t see much of this in Toyota and Honda, though, because they have a cultural bias against all Chinese items, unless there's just no other choice. Based upon quality, I'd take outsourced stuff from Taiwan or S. Korea or Indonesia over China anyday.
That's a big difference, and it's showing, especially in Chrysler and Ford. They are cost-cutting with Chinese parts, and the Japanese makers are cost-cutting with Korean parts.
What is you point? The contention that foreign manufactures provide American jobs is asinine. If American bought a domestic vehicle there would be more workers in domestic plants that pay better and offer better benefits.
If ones goal is to help the US economy then buy only those vehicle made in the US of more than 70% American parts, rather simple concept. The vehicle will have a number one as the first number of the VIN a content label that says the American parts content is at least 70%. Buying anything else help the US less. If more buyers insisted on American made products more manufactures will make their products in the US. As long as consumers are going to accept imports the manufactures will use cheaper import parts, as well, and we will export even more of our children's jobs.
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

You really do need to visit the UAW website. Seriously. Where the company has its headquarders is only a small part of the much larger equation. An awful lot of "domestic" vehicles aren't actually made in the U.S. anymore.
You keep saying that but it is not factual. 85% of all the vehicles old in the US by GM and Ford are made in the US of over 75% American parts. Look for those with a '1' as the first number of the VIN. On can spend their money where the wish but IF you want to help you own economy the most avoid those with a J, K, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Go visit a Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda lot. Check to see where the vehicles are made, and the parts content. I suspect you will have quite the eye-opening experience. For starters, look at the Accord, Camry, Avalanche, Equinox, and Aveo. Then, ask yourself who is REALLY responsible for the export of auto manufacturing jobs!
The may be your opinion but it is based on the facts. The Accord is one of the few foreign cars actually made in the US of at least 75% American parts.. The Camry on the other hand is only assembled in the US of primarily parts imported from other Japanese manufactures. Honda and Toyota pay no US federal income taxes however. GM and Ford pay federal income taxes and built at least 85% of the vehicle they sell in the US, in the US. If Americans continue to buy more foreign cars, the domestics will have no choice but to source their parts in low cost countries as well to remain competitive regardless of the UAW contract that require 75% American part content.
BUY American if you want jobs to be there for you off spring.
mike hunt
Rich wrote:

I don't know how you formed this opinion, but it's nonsense. My wife's Explorer has a German engine and French transmission. That Chevy Equinox I pointed out to you has a Chinese engine.
Again, let me ask you who *really* is shipping our jobs overseas. Regardless of who sells what, the foreigners are bringing auto mfg jobs here, while the domestics are shipping them out.
Anyone who buys a Mexican-built Avalanche over a U.S.-built Maxima because of some misguided "buy American!" bug is not seeing the bigger picture here.
Last time I checked, I could buy as much Toyota, Honda, and Nissan stock as I wanted. In fact I'm positive I have all three of their stocks in my 401k portfolio. So, who really benefits when you buy a Mexican-built Chevy? GM stockholders, that's who. The American worker sure as hell doesn't gain anything!
Yet another misconceived conclusion...
<<<<I don't know how you formed this opinion, but it's nonsense. My wife's Explorer has a German engine and French transmission. That Chevy Equinox I pointed out to you has a Chinese engine. Again, let me ask you who *really* is shipping our jobs overseas. Regardless of who sells what, the foreigners are bringing auto mfg jobs
here, while the domestics are shipping them out.
Anyone who buys a Mexican-built Avalanche over a U.S.-built Maxima because of some misguided "buy American!" bug is not seeing the bigger picture here.
Last time I checked, I could buy as much Toyota, Honda, and Nissan stock as I wanted. In fact I'm positive I have all three of their stocks in my 401k portfolio. So, who really benefits when you buy a Mexican-built Chevy? GM stockholders, that's who. The American worker sure as hell doesn't gain anything! >>>>
Here's an idea. Buy only American vehicles that are 20-60 years old. Then suppert the economy by hitting Jegs, Summit, NPD, and Eastwood. Then you damn well where your bux are going and you have a cooler ride to boot. <grins>
FBR wrote:

(busy dreaming of a nice red early 60's Skylark convertable...)
SIGH. New cars suck so much. No soul anymore.
Obviously you have not driven a car like my 2005 Mustang GT convertible ;)
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Egads. The fake plastic covers for that should be real vents... The whole car is typical Ford plastic and show with not enough function. Just wait 7-8 years and tell us how much fun it is to be constantly repairing it.
Apparently you have chosen to comment on a vehicle that you have never seen, let alone know anything about. As to how it runs it will blow the doors off any 2005 vehicle you may own. As to how well they hold up I own the following old Ford vehicles a 1941, 1971 with almost 300K on the clock, 1972 with 170K, 1983 with 99K that all continue to run quite well, thank you. LOL
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Are you Goofy?
New cars are more reliable, get better fuel milage, safer, handle better, have better styling and certainly have more add on goodies than any older car. If all you want is brut power then get your 60's rust bucket. For me, I'll take the newer car. Soul? What older car had soul. Most had a huge appitite for high octane gas and tires. The '05 Mustang has power, soul, good mileage and most of all it's a safer car all around than it's 60's counterpart.

Agree...
Agree...
Agree...
Mostly disagree...cars of the 50's and 60's showed much more imagination in styling than just about anything produced today. Todays cars are cheesy moulded plastic

A definate minus in my book! I don't want cars with automatic ass-wipers. I want to operate the car, not the car operate me!

You don't go to car shows much do you?

To each his own.

You're kidding..right? Nope, no car shows for you, I take it.

True, but what does that have to do with "soul"? Also, so what?

The 05' Mustang appears to be a rare exception. I may even buy one of those in a couple of years (and I'm hardly a Ford person)

;-p wrote:

But they all are jellybeans and have no soul. Well, there are a few expensive exceptions, to be sure, but the vast majority are bland pieces of well-engineered ticky-tacky. Like wearing around a dozen different versions of Timex watches.

Just what people want. A reliable appliance just like a wash machine or mixer. Turn the switch and go from point 'A' to point 'B'. Look at the car as the tool that it is. Besides, a non human can't have a soul.

You've never seen the movie "Christine". :-)