Some General Motors vehicles outrank Toyota's

Page 3 of 3
Hey Mike,
I see you are reading this thread. great. Did you read the link in the original post that states that J.D. power found that the range of problem
areas in new vehicles made by GM ranges from about 100 problems per 100 vehicles (good, even best in class) to about double that (bad)? Do you acknowledge that the nonsense you were posting about only 2% of car owners, overall, having a problem over 5 years of ownership is utter NONSENSE?
Will you please now stop posting that nonsense? Judging by some of your posts, you are not a fool and yet you sometimes post this kind of baloney like you really believe it.
Please stop it.
Thanks.

Elmer Fudd wrote:

I could care less about most initial quality reports. Having a couple of things fixed at the first or second service intervals under warranty is no big deal.
The problem I have had with GM vehicles is that shortly after the factory warranty is up, the expensive problems start pouring on. Leaking intake manifold gaskets, failed headlamp assemblies (seal fails and lets the inside fill with moisture), A/C failures, fuel tank leaks, etc. etc. etc. Our four year old Olds minivan is more expensive to maintain than my ten year old Volvo is, and Volvos are not generally cheap cars to maintain!
John
Elmer Fudd wrote:

The author missed a critical factor:
""The data show the difference really is perceptual," Denove said. "Every automaker has had some quality glitches. Honda recently had transmission problems, but it got a pass because people expect Hondas to have good quality.""
He neglected to state that Honda, without a class-action lawsuit, extended the warranty on it's troublesome automatic transmissions to 100,000 miles. I know several people who have had new transmission put into their Odyssey minivans at 50-80k miles, but none of them have bad feeling about it because Honda covered the cost and gave them a loaner car for the couple of days it took.
Contrast this with GM's attitude about the epidemic of failed intake manifold gasket .... if it is after your 36,000 mile warranty is up, tough luck Mr./Ms. Customer.
John
> On 4/11/2006 5:33 PM ... John Horner wrote:

I knew someone with a Acura MDX where Honda replaced the tranny for free well out of warranty (I think at ~ 60-70K miles). I've had similar experience with Chrysler as well...a repaint job for a 8-year-old Caravan with clearcoat problems (a 1987 model at the time, so that was 1995).