Tire pressure sensing

How do the tire pressure indicators work, specifically on the Buick LeSabre/Lucerne if it makes any difference.
I was under the impression that wheel rpms were sensed and the computer
looked for a difference.
Thanks....
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bishoop wrote:

Most of the new vehicles use pressure sensors that are integral with the valve stem in each wheel. These sensors send a signal to the tire pressure monitor (which I believe is in the drivers door module) and they sense the actual pressure in real time.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–
Here is a site that explains the wheel mounted tire pressure sensors http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/TECHLINK /
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, Mar 30, 2006, 4:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@none.none (Bishoop) How do the tire pressure indicators work, specifically on the Buick LeSabre/Lucerne if it makes any difference. I was under the impression that wheel rpms were sensed and the computer looked for a difference. Thanks....
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, Mar 30, 2006, 11:39pm (EST+5) From: V_L snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai)
Most of the new vehicles use pressure sensors that are integral with the valve stem in each wheel. These sensors send a signal to the tire pressure monitor (which I believe is in the drivers door module) and they sense the actual pressure in real time. Ian
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:40:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:

I don't think BMW uses this. BMW uses logic that uses the abs sensors for input. When your tire pressure drops, the tire changes diameter slightly and this will report a different rate thru the abs sensors.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Who said anything about BMW? Please reread the original post.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Apr 1, 2006, 9:49pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (RT) I don't think BMW uses this. BMW uses logic that uses the abs sensors for input. When your tire pressure drops, the tire changes diameter slightly and this will report a different rate thru the abs sensors.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote:   Here is a site that explains the wheel mounted tire pressure sensors http://www.hunter.com/pub/undercar/TECHLINK /
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Thu, Mar 30, 2006, 11:39pm (EST+5) From: V_L snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai) Most of the new vehicles use pressure sensors that are integral with the valve stem in each wheel. These sensors send a signal to the tire pressure monitor (which I believe is in the drivers door module) and they sense the actual pressure in real time. Ian
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
Add pictures here
βœ–
I can tell you that the system on an '05 Impala works similar to the BMW system, FWIW.
nate
Rich B wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Accurate ? It does not indicate the exact pressure if that's what you mean. It only warns when the pressure gets too low. That's really all you need. Good car maintenance involves checking your tire pressure at least once a month.
Add pictures here
βœ–

sensors
sensors.
The exact pressure is better than "too low" when it comes to tires. Many of the GM vehicles will tell you exact pressure. The only drawback is that you have to reset the system after tire rotation so the computer reports the correct tire locations. Plus the cost of the replacement stems if they get damaged.
Steve W.
-
Add pictures here
βœ–
RT wrote:

Sure they do (tell you the exact pressure)! Wouldn't it be better if you actually researched the subject before making a statement like that? I work on the stupid cars every day, reset the tire monitors, "look" right at the tire pressures displayed on the DIC...etc.
And of course you should check your tire pressures on a regular basis with a guage. But that's another subject.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–
Shame on you Lan for telling people that they have to check things on their vehicles. I know some who think that you should be able to use something forever without doing any maintenance at all. BTW I check my tire pressure, oil and all fluids once a week (whether it needs it or not).
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Mon, Apr 10, 2006, 7:14pm (EDT+4) From: V_L snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (shiden_kai)
Sure they do (tell you the exact pressure)! Wouldn't it be better if you actually researched the subject before making a statement like that? I work on the stupid cars every day, reset the tire monitors, "look" right at the tire pressures displayed on the DIC...etc. And of course you should check your tire pressures on a regular basis with a guage. But that's another subject. Ian
RT wrote: Accurate ? It does not indicate the exact pressure if that's what you mean. It only warns when the pressure gets too low. That's really all you need. Good car maintenance involves checking your tire pressure at least once a month.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~
Add pictures here
βœ–

Seems like it should be the same subject, since the latter statement contradicts the first one. I'm sure there is a good reason for it and I, for one, would like the rest of the story.
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hairy wrote:

I'm not sure who you are talking to, but if you are talking to me, the tire pressures are buried inside a maze of menu's, so the average owner might not even know that he has access to that info. If I owned a Caddy (or whatever other car had this system), I sure wouldn't bother using a guage....the onboard monitors are very accurate. But other folks might not think it's so accurate, so best for for them if they just check it with a good old fashioned guage. Probably will make them feel better too.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–

You STILL need a good gauge when filling the tires with air. I once did not have a gauge and had to fill the tires and could only use the onboard pressure monitor in a C5 Corvette. What a pain the rear that was. The monitors lag and you have to wait a lot.

Add pictures here
βœ–
RT wrote:

You just proved that you "don't" need a guage. So the monitors lag....big deal...it can still be done quite accurately without a guage.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, I did. You can cut down a tree too with a swiss army knife but would you ? Trust me, I would not even attempt to do it again becuase it is trial and error and it took me a while to get it exactly at where I wanted it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I was talking about the system BMW uses and that GM has (or still is) using on some cars where it only indicates when the pressure drops 5 psi or so (don't know the exact amount).

Add pictures here
βœ–