(UK) Vauxhall Omega

Hi, sorry if I've chosen the wrong group.
I live in the UK, have a Vauxhall Omega 2.0l GLS Auto and am having problems with stalling and irregular idleing speeds (which in drive is not useful at
junctions or when parking). I'm told that I can modify the engine crankcase breather system by adding an oil separator to the breather pipe to cambox cover - is this a complete breather pipe and searator unit or can the unit be added to an existing pipe - and is it easy to fit? Alternative theories for the problems are the idle air control valve, which will need replacing and again is that something people can do themselves?
Apologies again if I'm not in the right place but since GM own Vauxhall, I thought someone here might know the answers. Alternative newsgroups would be just as welcome.
Many thanks,
Steven
try uk.rec.cars.maintenance
its likely to be the air idle valve, but the breather mod is a good idea. Both are easy to do.