Vauxhall Omega Automatic Query

I've just bought a gorgeous, one owner 1999 S Vauxhall Omega V6 Elite and am feeling very pleased with my purchase... bar one thing. Whenever I start the car and hit the brake pedal (as the trip computer display asks me to)there is a very unsubtle 'click' coming from behind the left of the centre console. It sounds like a relay tripping. I can't move the auto box out of park until it trips and once or twice I've had to depress the brake pedal four or five times to activate it. Do all Omega Elite autos make this rather cheap, loud clicking noise or is it the sound of an expensive electrical repair job getting ever closer? Many thanks for any help on this.

Reply to
Decarteret

Is that with the handbrake off?

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

It is the parking brake lock solenoid for the selector lever. With handbrake on and key in the ignition, then this solenoid will pull in with a click when the brake pedal is depressed. This prevents the lever being moved out of park without the above conditions being met (i.e by kids playing around in the car).

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Lovely car, i would like one of those, always fancied the 2.5litre. What's the performance like - does it shift?

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the info - bit of a relief. It's a gorgeous car, relaxing to drive but v agile and quick when necessary. I've had friends with the 3 litre but from what I can gather the 2.5 has a better reputation if looked after properly. Fingers crossed all the electrics stay in good order, because there's an awful lot of buttons in there...

Reply to
Decarteret