Water in the floor? (ATTN Harry)

I have water in the floor of my 94 Grand Prix. Last year, I put RV blue around the air inlet under the cowl and this seemed to resolve the problem (until this year), any recommendations for a permanent fix?

sounds like leaky hose

Or a bad heater core. Is it antifreeze? Had that problem on my 94 Sonoma. Twice. It starts with a slow leak and just gets worse from there.

No it's not antifreeze

Good evening Mr. Cleever,
Probably best to have the GP experts answer this one. It seems to be a comomon problem for the GP. Seems there are about 2 places in the cowl area the water comes in . the Heater box and some other seal under the cowl or ?
I got rid of my water leaks when I sold my 68 Le Sabre Convertible in 1986.
Good Luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
I remember you recommending a compound to use last year to seal that puppy up, but I don't remember what it is now .. oh well .. memory goes with age :)

I recommended a compound??????
Might of been Silicone sealer.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
Harry McGuffin wrote:

I can tell you exactly where it is comming in at: The black plastic cowl seal is no longer sealed to the windshield. The seal around the hvac air intake is no longer sealed. The two drains in the cowl are plugged.
Remove the cowl cover, pour water on the windshield and you will see that in rain, water will flow directly into the air intake.
OK. That gives me a good plan of attack. I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks again.

Harry McGuffin wrote:

Remove the cowl cover. Clean the two drain holes at the sides of the cowl then clean the entire cowl area. Remove and apply silicone to the air intake thing then reinstall it. I think there are three screws... or was it six? Silicone the upper (winshield) edge of the cowl cover then reinstall.
Now, are you talking about the black cowl cover (has holes in it for the windshield wipers) the cover that goes in it from the windshield, or the black pastic that sits atop of air intake for the vent system? :)

Yup, I figured it was coming from the air intake also ... But I sealed the body cracks (where the intake goes into the passenger compartment from the cowl area .. mine still leaks. You think it's the cowl itself? My Air intake has a black cover over it..

clevere wrote:

Yes. The cowl was originally sealed to the windshield with some sort of black gooey stuff. The cowl cover is supposed to let windshield water run over the cowl and then drain. If it runs under the cowl, it runs directly into the air intake and fills up the glove box drawer.
Ah I see. It doesn't fill up my glove box... I get water in the drivers floor board. I'll go take some pictures tomorrow, and post em.. it's an interesting problem.

On my car, water ran under the 6 foot long cowl cover and into the air intake. From there it ran to various places inside dash area of the car. I took most of the dash out a couple of years ago and saw rust trails all over the inside firewall where the water ran. Dealer wanted $262 for a new cowl cover. I superglued the pieces back together and siliconed the cover to the windshield. It worked.
clevere wrote:

Another possible explination is the heater core is leaking. It's pretty easy to tell if that "water" has antifreeze in it, though.
Yeah, The water isn't antifreeze. I've been through a leaking heater core before .. this isn't the case.

Ditto on my little machine. It's definitely NOT anti-freeze.
That's interesting about how water goes hither and yon once it gets inside the dash. Your description certainly matches my symptoms exactly. It's a little nippy and dark out there right now. Probably wait till the weekend to attack.

Well, I actually took my car to the shop for another non-related problem. While they had it, I had them look for the leak (My mechanic has a 1 year parts & labor warranty so I figured what the hell). He ended up sealing the body again from outside and underneath. Leak gone.