What's this S-10 truck worth?

1997 Chevy S-10 extended cab, 2WD, 4.3 Vortec, automatic trans, 98,500 miles, manual windows and locks, A/C, missing tailgate (don't ask). Needs minor things like floor mats, a lever for reclining seat, rear
view mirror loose, headlight has condensation. Exterior in good condition, runs and drives well.
I'm considering buying this. The dealer wants US$3995 but I'm not paying that much.
So, what's it worth? NADA, Kelley, and Edmunds prices are worthless.
TIA
On 26 Feb 2005 10:50:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

your area. While KBB is usually a little out to lunch on the high side, NADA is supposed to be what dealers in your area have reported as an actual sale price on similar vehicles. I usually look for a price half-way between trade-in and private party values. In my area if it runs a pickup is usually worth a minimum of $2500.00.
From the overall description, which isn't a lot I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of $3k give or take $300. It is all going to depend on how much they got in it. Make them an offer and see what they say? Worse that can happen is they throw you off the lot. This has only happened to me one time. I usually don't buy used cars from Bubba lots anyways. This doesn't sound like a vehicle that a dealership would keep on the lot. Sounds to much like a beater.
I real good way to find out what it is worth in your area is to go to www.autotrader.com and do a search on what all the comparable `97 S-10's are selling for in your area.
--

"Maybe worshiping the cross and the painful death rather
than the well lived life really has distorted our sense
<<1997 Chevy S-10 extended cab, 2WD, 4.3 Vortec, automatic trans, 98,500 miles, manual windows and locks, A/C, missing tailgate (don't ask). Needs minor things like floor mats, a lever for reclining seat, rear view mirror loose, headlight has condensation. Exterior in good condition, runs and drives well.>>
<<I'm considering buying this. The dealer wants US$3995 but I'm not paying that much.>>
<<So, what's it worth? NADA, Kelley, and Edmunds prices are worthless. TIA>>
The truck is worth whatever the dealer can get for it. If the asking price is too high, the truck will stay on the lot for a while.
However, dealers often put customers with bad credit into overpriced vehicles.
As they say in the car business, "there's an ass for every seat."
One-Shot Scot wrote:

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering