Why Does the 3.9 G6 Convertible have 13 less HP the the Coupe?

The 3.9 G6 coupe as 240 hp yet the 3.9 convertible is only rated at 227 hp. Why? What are the differences in these identical engines? I was thinking
bout getting the convertible but feel short changed.

convertable but tell them to put the coupe engine in it.
If it is a fact that the HP output is different, my guess is GM is using a different cam to better match the HP to the torque to provide a better performance curve for the heaver convertible. Higher HP at higher RPMs is common with Japanese cars but that is why they lose a lot of the much more desirable torque, at the proper RPM
mike

Maybe it takes 13HP (at full load) to run the hydraulic pump for the roof.
Steve

It would take that much when putting the top up at highway speeds.

That has nothing to do with engine output, its just an engine accessory like a/c or and altinator that would reduce power at the wheels not the engine itself.

Oh right. Well, maybe they lowered the output because the car is heavier and they wanted the fuel mileage to be par with the non-convertible.
Steve

Why are we even concerned about 13HP on a sub-$30,000 car?

If your car has 500HP, 13 HP isn't going to make much difference. If it has 240HP, you could probably feel a 13HP difference.

True, but doesn't say why you would be concerned with 13HP on a sub-$30,000 car.
Steve Mackie wrote:

And why should we be concerned about 13 HP on a $30,000 and up car? Stan

Not saying you should. I just figure the more you spend the more you are concerned about certain things and less about others. I just bought a sub-$30,000 car, I had no idea how much HP it had until a few days after I bought it, but I knew lots about the fuel mileage, safety and reliability.
If I was going for a $100k+ vehicle, I would be more concerned about things like paint quality, HP, tires, brakes, etc.
Steve

Why should we NOT wonder abut it in any priced car? I'm not interested in buying either model, but I'm curious about the difference.

Maybe because you want the extra power of 13 horses. What does it matter if the price is about 30k?

only 227hp just because you want a convertible.

Punished? There may be a very logical reason once we find out. . I would think the Pontiac dealer should be able to find out though. It does seem strange that they would make a change in cam, compression, or most anything for 13 hp. I also have to wonder if the web page has wrong information where something was not updated. Could be the convertible needs a different exhaust/header layout and causes a power loss. Different timing from the computer for some reason?
Note that the SV6 has different ratings on the two models for the 3.5Lengine also. 196 vs. 201 Seems like Pontiac uses a lot of different engines in its line they have at least five displacements and sometimes two versions of each. The Impala uses a 3.5Lwith a 211 hp rating with variable valve timing, yet the Malibu is 201.
With all that said, how important is the hp rating? It is not the power, it is what you do with it. So many other factors come into play like wheel size, tire size, gear ratios, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if the stated ratings aren't just purposefully understated for some models for marketing reasons. No one ever gets in trouble for understating a bit. For example, when the base model Vette and the V8 Fbodies both used the same LS1 engine, the Fbodies were stated as having about 30 less HP or so. Yet gear heads that don't work for GM seem to find that in fact they produce about the same as the Vette (not the Z06).