'05 Accord Battery

Page 1 of 3
I have an '05 Accord LX manual purchased in August '05, with almost 34k miles on it. When I checked the battery today the status indicator was clear and not green. I've never had the battery drain and need a jump start
before. I called the dealer to inquire today and was told if it went bad, they would cover for up to 3 years (the new car warranty). They said I could bring it in on Monday to test the battery, but I won't have time.
Isn't this a little premature for a battery to start going bad? What is recommended if I decide to replace it? I used to always go Die Hard Gold for replacements but not sure if they're still the best or one of the better ones. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks, -Dave

Make the time, it's being replaced for you for no charge.

Make the time, it's being replaced for you for no charge.

We just had the battery replaced free by our dealer with only 19,000 miles on our 2006 Accord. The car would start but seemed to turn over slower than usual. The indicator window on it did not show any color in it either. They tested it and I was told it was putting out much lower cranking amps than it should.

Yes, I'll make an appointment to the dealer. I just couldn't do it this Monday and hopefully they'll have a day where they have later appointments or a Saturday appointment when they can check this. The Accord always seemed to turn over slightly slower than my previous cars even when it was new. It was nothing major, and even now it's the same. This happens when I let it sit overnight or after work.
My only concern is if they say nothing is actually wrong with it and the battery is just getting old at 2-1/2 years old!
Thanks, -Dave
Dave L wrote:

you don't say where you live - if it's phoenix, that battery life will not be unusual.

Sorry - I'm in Maryland. -Dave
Dave L wrote:

Don't be sorry. It could be worse, like Long Island or Washington, DC.
Jeff

Hey - I'm less than an hour away from D.C..... Fun place to visit though!
-Dave

Dave L wrote: <...>

I taught in Harlem, NYC, for over a year. Now it takes a lot to get me upset.
It's been many years since I was to Wash., D.C., but I really enjoyed the museums there.
Jeff

I'll bet! I go up to NYC sometimes to visit relatives, but not in Harlem. Never been there but always pictured it as a rough place. Then again I thought the same of the Bronx until I was at a restaurant in a really nice section of the Bronx. Forgot what it was called..

They are nice. I've always like the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. Took my bike down there and rode with friends along the Potomac, Georgetown and into D.C.
-Dave

Dave L wrote:

Harlem is an up and coming community. It is being gentrified. Harlem and parts of the Bronx are the closest communities in NYC to downtown Manhattan that can be redeveloped into better housing. There are some really nice areas of the Bronx. Harlem is turning into a nice shopping district on 125th St., the main east-west road, where the Famous Appollo theater is. A bunch of stores have moved in, including an H&M store (I think a chain of clothing stores) & a Magic Johnson Theater. A Trader Joes is coming, too (there's one in Union Square and one in Brooklyn too). And there are some good schools there (some NYC dept. of ed schools and some are charter schools) and some bad schools. In addition, Columbia University is there and City College (the public college with the most Nobles) is there as well. Sadly, the poor kids there are treated as throw-away kids by the city when it comes to education (the teachers' union doesn't do much to help either).

In my college years, I went there every year or so. Maybe I will try the bike thing sometime.
Jeff

Yup, you're much more familiar with New York than I! I do enjoy it when I ride up there to visit. I'm normally on Staten Island, Brooklyn or Manhattan. Sometimes in Queens and the Bronx if I'm up there with friends visiting. I wouldn't even begin to start naming stores and their locations there! I think the area I was thinking of is called City Island, in the Bronx.

If you don't live far, it's worth the day trip. More fun if you go with others.
-Dave
Dave L wrote:
<snip>

In that case it's all your fault. ;)

Oh, thanks (said with a sarcastic tone)... lol
I think this topic deserves the "OT" prefix in front of it, wouldn't you ? whew

Well yeah, I totally agree. However it was not me. I wouldn't even have seen what was typed had you not replied to it. Must have been filtered out. Check the header - I'm sure it won't match mine. I heard someone is out doing some spoofing..
-Dave

If you are in a hot climate, then 2.5 years is often a common life for a battery.
Interstate (and maybe one other manufacturer) is the OEM battery manufacturer for Hondas and is much recommended here. I go with Interstate lately for my 91 Civic.

The dealer is replacing it under warranty so why go to any other battery. He should make the time and take it to the dealer....
wrote

Yeah yeah, I'll see what appointments they have this week. Juggling with a work schedule! As I said in a previous post, I'm just afraid the dealer will say the clear eye is normal wear and not do anything. I'll hit the 36k miles before the 36 months for the new car warranty.
Thanks, -Dave
wrote

I'm in Maryland and the batteries I've had in previous cars have always lasted over 2.5 years. Then again, this is my first "new" car.
I'll see if I can dig up an old CR mag for car batteries. CR is normally decent although I do take them with a grain of salt.
Thanks, -Dave
wrote