1995 Accord ABS light

Hello!

Just purchased a 1995 Honda Accord w/67kmi original on it. The car is beautiful, runs great...but I seem to be running into the '1990's Honda ABS issue' that Ive read so much about.

When I first start the car, the ABS is off. However, after about 20-30 minutes of highway driving, it will come on. If I cycle the ignition while driving, it will stay off for another 20 - 30 minutes or so and then come on again.

Id like to be able to check the diagnostics light to see what code this unit is sending out, but for all the pages Ive read there isnt a clear description on how to do it.

-Where is the ABS diagnostics socket located?

-What is the procedure to check the error codes? (Ive heard of jumpering pins and checking a flashing light - which pins and which light??:))

There was supposedly a tech2tech.com document on this, but that page is no longer active.

Ive read about the plugs leaking on the pump/modulator assembly, and there is a documented procedure for tightening them. Anyone have a link to this?

If this is the ABS pump unit, I see that they are $1000+ new. Thankfully, Ive found a place that sells them used & tested for about $175 a unit:

At least I can just shit the ABS down and brake as normal, but Id really like all the features on the car to work!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
Awake1077

woops I meant SHUT the ABS down...:)

Reply to
Awake1077

I checked a couple more things today:

When I first start the car, the ABS pump runs for ~10 seconds and shuts down. It sounds healthy to me (like a small air compressor).

I had filled the ABS resevoir with fluid, and after 260 miles of driving it was down to halfway between MIN and MAX.

I dont hear the pump running when the ABS light kicks on, all I hear is a slight 'click' comming from the passenger side kick panel (Im assuming the ECU is there).

I dont see any signs of leakage around the pump/modulator unit.

Perhaps I just need to bleed the system? I think its the place to start anyway, after I get the fault codes off the ECU.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply to
Awake1077

----------------------------

If there's grease / dirt / crud on the tone rings, you'll get ABS light only after vehicle starts moving. Clean them carefully. Odyclub has lots of posts . . same system.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Thanks for the reply Curly. What's a tone ring? I just find in peculiar that the ABS light seems to come on at nearly the exact time, every time. It dosent seem to be pressure related, when I cycle the ignition it will stay off for the same amount of time...

Reply to
Awake1077

---------------------------

Tone ring is a generic term for the ribbed steel ring on the wheel hubs that generates the AC signal that the ABS computer uses to figure out how fast each wheel is spinning. You need to determine if your ABS light stays off if the vehicle doesn't move. Start it, sit on driveway. Simple

'curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Thanks for the info, Ill check that tonight and post back with my findings.

Reply to
Awake1077

OK, so when I got home I let her run and, within the same 20minute time span, the ABS light kicked on. The car did not move at all.

I opened the hood so I could listen for the ABS pump, and every few minutes it would run for about 2 seconds.

Im kind of confused! If this were a pressure issue, wouldnt the pump run for at least 30-45 seconds?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Awake1077

Bump - anyone?

Reply to
CHDIGIUS

Here's another diagnostic question for you . . .When the light isn't on, have you tried using the ABS to be sure it functions? (gravel road or dirty pavement works). I had a PDF around here that says you should flush the ABS portion, and then 'exercise' the ABS HARD to flush any crud out of the solonoids, then flush it again. The next generation (like CR-V) is designed different, and the solonoids exercise themselves once during start-up to keep contaminants from settling in the orifices.

I'll send it to you if I can find it. I found it by searching google.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Hey Curly -

Ive brought the car up to 45mph and *slammed* on the brakes on dry pavement...no skid. I havent had an opportunity to try it on a wet road or sand yet.

If you can find the PDF that would be great, Ill keep searching for it in the meantime.

I stopped at my mechanic today and explained what was happening, and he gave me print out from the ABS diagnostics section for my car from AllData. That should come in handy - I think I need to take a look at the fault codes on the ABS computer to help me narrow down what's going on.

I have to time it to make sure, but it seems like that light comes on at *exactly* the same time every time I start the car. And the pump isn't running when the light comes on.

Thanks Chris

motsco_ _ wrote:

Reply to
Awake1077

Ok, there was a big WET parking lot across from my house and I took the opportunity to test the ABS system. And it works fine. ~30MPH, slammed on the brakes - just a short chrip of the tires and the ABS kicked in. After a couple times, the pump ran for 2-3 seconds and that was it.

I locked her up about 6 good, hard times. Ill be able to check if the light comes on tomorrow.

Curly,thanks again for the PDF on testing/maintaining the system.

Chris

Reply to
Awake1077

Good news! The throrough exercising of the ABS system did the trick! No more light, no matter how long the car is on, and the ABS works great.

The solenoids must have been stuck open due to lack of use...

Ill be sure to use the ABS from time to time, and put in fresh fluid every 15kmi.

Thanks for your help Curly!

Chris

Reply to
Awake1077

I have the same year Accord EX. Yesterday I heard a noise coming from the front passeng. side of the card and then the ABS lite came on. I checked the fluid level and it was dry. I filled it up but the lite still comes on. Any suggestions?

Reply to
chrisv

I have the same year Accord EX. Yesterday I heard a noise coming from the front passeng. side of the card and then the ABS lite came on. I checked the fluid level and it was dry. I filled it up but the lite still comes on. Any suggestions?

Reply to
chrisv

There's two fluid levels to check. Your main brakes reservoir, and the tiny one on top of the ABS, under a black rubber cap. Have you performed the 'lamp check' to be sure all your idiot lights are functioning? It's in the owner's manual. You need to get your aBS system flushed if it sucked air in.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _