2000 Civic DX Mods

What gain would I get installing an AEM cold air induction and a set of headers on this car?

Thanks Charles

Reply to
wdeagle1

You would gain an excuse not to go anywhere when it rains.

Reply to
Seth

you may get something from the header, but the air intake is iffy. most aftermarket intakes take their air from inside the engine compartment, not outside, so they're sucking hot air, not cold. also, they're made of metal which retains heat nicely. honda thoughtfully provide a plastic intake which doesn't retain heat, that sucks cold air from outside when moving, warm air from inside when not to prevent icing, and is designed to minimize risk of water ingestion. it also incorporates a highly efficient air filter that works down to a much smaller particle size than the type of filter you'll be looking at. more particle ingestion means shorter engine life.

and even if you do this "upgrade" you'll still not get that much out of this motor - the cam is pretty restricted - no top end. you'll get much better results from a "mini-me" upgrade, or better yet, a b-series motor.

oh, last thing, check your local emissions laws. here in california, it's supposed to be illegal to touch the catalyst while it's still under warranty mileage - you can't replace the header on the dx without removing the stock catalyst.

Reply to
jim beam

"wdeagle1" wrote in news:1168739739.165707.76810@

38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

A greatly increased probability of sucking water into your engine. I have seen engines destroyed by these "cold air intakes".

Reply to
Tegger