2003 Accord Whirring Noise in Engine?

Page 2 of 2
Howard Lester wrote:

Change they did. Honda's current 4 cylinder engines use a timing chain. Many customers are really unhappy about having to pay for costly timing belt replacements and thus many companies are going back to timing chains.
John Horner wrote:

it's bizarre that in a time of improving emissions control, manufacturers would do that. as chains stretch, valve timing drifts and so consequently, does emissions. belts don't stretch ans remain dead-on accurate through their whole service life.
and car owners getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and repair shops for over-expensive belt changes if not going to disappear because of a chain - there will always be something else to hose the customer with.
Brian Smith wrote:

Modern Honda 4 cylinder engines use a timing chain, not a replaceable timing belt. The V-6s still use a belt.
it's a 6 cylinder, 70,000 miles

Hancock wrote:

My guess would be that it is either the accessory drive belt or one of the things it runs such as the alternator or power steering pump.
Hancock wrote:

Have you been praying for Whirled Peas?
'Curly'
:-)

Is it possible the alternator is going. I had a car that made that sound and it was the alternator.