2010 Civic LX: 30,000 Mile Service: "E Service": Ripoff?

Page 3 of 3

It's not a countdown to self-destruct, it's a countdown to call the dealer for an appointment, or make an appointment with your shade-tree and do it yourself.
J.
On Friday April 26 11:47 PM, JRStern wrote:

LOL
On 4/24/2013 12:08 AM, JRStern wrote:

An important point in this is that at 15% the MM might give codes to suggest a number of tasks in addition to changing the oil. However, there is only one reset procedure which resets everything as being done. Thus whether you are at 20% with no codes showing or 10% with transmission fluid change, replace rear differential fluid, change filters, etc. showing, if you change the oil (or even if you don't) and reset the MM, the computer 'thinks' ALL of its recommendations have been followed and does not remind you at the next 15% point. So at 60,000 miles the MM might recommend changing the oil and the transmission fluid, but if you only do the oil and reset the MM, you probably will not see a transmission fluid code again for another 60,000 miles.
If you ALWAYS change the oil at 20% and reset the MM, you will NEVER see a code for anything else. IMHO that is the significant point of what you were told - and a weakness of the MM design.
I think each recommendation should have to be individually reset - you could still fool it, but not be unintentionally mislead.
On Wednesday April 24 3:06 PM, Al wrote:

Great idea. Seriously, write to Honda
Steve
"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I own a 2010 Honda Civic.
I went to have my oil changed last night.
The express mechanic told me I am 2,000 miles away from the "30,000 mile E Maintenance" package needing to be be done and do I just want to go ahead and do it now?
Price? $590 + tax !!!!
I can never recall a tuneup being that much and this is what it sounds like, a fancy tuneup.
I'm going to check my owners manual and I will likely get it done as I don't like messing with factory recommendations, but this feels like a rip off
Is it?
Steve For whatever it is worth, the 30k service entails: - Oil/Filter Change - Change air and cabin filters - Change transmission fluid - Rotate tires - Change brake fluid - Inspect running gear.
There are probably other recommendations like changing wiper blades.
You can do some of this yourself like changing the cabin HEPA filter. The price is high in my opinion.
"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,
I own a 2010 Honda Civic.
I went to have my oil changed last night.
The express mechanic told me I am 2,000 miles away from the "30,000 mile E Maintenance" package needing to be be done and do I just want to go ahead and do it now?
Price? $590 + tax !!!!
I can never recall a tuneup being that much and this is what it sounds like, a fancy tuneup.
I'm going to check my owners manual and I will likely get it done as I don't like messing with factory recommendations, but this feels like a rip off
Is it?
Steve The Honda dealer I use has an awards program where you are awarded points for each service performed. The points give you a discount on future service -- 500 points $50.00 off for example. I recently had an oil change, transmission and differential drain and refill on my S2000 for around $50.00 using my points.
On Wednesday April 24 7:44 AM, tww1491 wrote:

The two Honda dealerships near where I work and live do not do this.
That is okay. The phone calls I have made as a result of this event showed me that the original Honda Dealership ( near where I work ) is not the cheapest or most competent.
The one near where I live made a good impression on me and their labor rate is only $3/hr more than the the independent mechanic across the street from where I work.
From now on I am taking my maintenance to either them or the Honda dealership near where I live.
Steve
"Steve" wrote in message
On Wednesday April 24 7:44 AM, tww1491 wrote:

The two Honda dealerships near where I work and live do not do this.
That is okay. The phone calls I have made as a result of this event showed me that the original Honda Dealership ( near where I work ) is not the cheapest or most competent.
The one near where I live made a good impression on me and their labor rate is only $3/hr more than the the independent mechanic across the street from where I work.
From now on I am taking my maintenance to either them or the Honda dealership near where I live.
Steve
The key is the dealership. I live in a small southern town in GA and am retired military. The local Honda dealer is excellent with top-notch mechanics. The dealership is privately owned and has been in business since the early 80s. When you take you Honda in for service -- i.e. the 30k service, they cover the factory recommendations, the cost and so forth... no padding.
On Thursday November 01 1:55 PM, Steve wrote:

Conclusion.
1. Went back for another oil change at Honda Dealership 1 earlier this week. Again, got a list of to-dos, $550. Shopped around via phone to other dealerships. Went with an independent mechanic who did the to-dos for about $300.
2. It is safe and necessary to let the maintenance minder hit 15% between oil changes. Icons for scheduled maintenance items aside from oil changes will not light up otherwise.
Steve
"Steve" wrote in message
On Thursday November 01 1:55 PM, Steve wrote:

Conclusion.
1. Went back for another oil change at Honda Dealership 1 earlier this week. Again, got a list of to-dos, $550. Shopped around via phone to other dealerships. Went with an independent mechanic who did the to-dos for about $300.
2. It is safe and necessary to let the maintenance minder hit 15% between oil changes. Icons for scheduled maintenance items aside from oil changes will not light up otherwise.
Steve
I would also recommend you keep a summary account of service done and when. You may need this when they try to sell you service already done. I had a recent situation where the Honda mechanic stated on the recommended maintenance found in their inspection that my plugs were in poor condition -- after they had changed them only 5k miles ago.
On 5/8/2013 3:24 PM, tww1491 wrote: [snip]

Don't we all keep a record of some sort? If not just the receipt, at least "in our heads?" If the mechanic tried that with me, I would not bother with any records (what do I have to prove to him?) I'd just tell him...
"FAIL! Those plugs were changed out 5,000 miles back (perhaps by THIS shop) and you know they're good! I'm gone and going to be busy telling everyone I know that this shop is a rip-off and to avoid you like the plague." That's the only explanation that the rip off's understand.
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
On 5/8/2013 3:24 PM, tww1491 wrote: [snip]

Don't we all keep a record of some sort? If not just the receipt, at least "in our heads?" If the mechanic tried that with me, I would not bother with any records (what do I have to prove to him?) I'd just tell him...
"FAIL! Those plugs were changed out 5,000 miles back (perhaps by THIS shop) and you know they're good! I'm gone and going to be busy telling everyone I know that this shop is a rip-off and to avoid you like the plague." That's the only explanation that the rip off's understand.
The saving grace was the service advisor who knew what had been done and did not press the issue. On balance, I think I will take this to the service mgr, He needs to know this mechanic is sloppy.
On 5/9/2013 4:52 PM, tww1491 wrote:

That the mechanic told you, "...that my plugs were in poor condition" is NOT sloppy, it's dishonest. He lied to you. Either he didn't examine the plugs and just tried to sell you a, what?, $100+ upcharge you did not need, or he DID examine the plugs and decided to stick it to you regardless. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or maybe I'm anal about integrity, but in your case if that mechanic was still working for the dealership that tells me they condone such actions and are not worthy of my business.

original post, that mechanic #1 actually did install new spark plugs?
On 5/10/2013 8:52 PM, Al wrote:

That's a point but insignificant in the overall scheme of things.
If we can agree that the work was supposed to have been done at the same dealership, we now have a situation where either Mechanic #1 (likely in collusion with the service manager and/or parts manager) claimed to have done the service and charged for it or #2 blew smoke up the customer's ass and tried to sell him the same service 5,000 miles later.
Do you feel better that it was #1 who lied to you and cheated you? Or would you feel better that it #2 who tried to cheat you and the service manager backed you when he saw that the jig was up?
It's basic dishonesty any way you look at it. Perjury is a dishonest act. It's simply two differing stories, under oath, that are material to the issue at hand. It makes no difference WHICH version is true, only that the two stories (in perjury cases, made by the same person) are materially different. In this dealership it makes no difference which mechanic was lying, the problem is that ONE of them is lying and the dealership is responsible. That is the important point.