2 year/30,000 mile service

Heh - Dropped my car off the today - the warranty expires tomorrow.

He asked if I wanted the 2 year/30,000 mile service done and listed off all sorts of stuff it includes (oil change, de-carbonizing the engine or something like that and a whole bunch of other stuff).

I was actually thinking about doing it until he told me the price: $599

I don't think so. I think I'll just get an oil change at Jiffy Lube instead. Even though it's 3 years old, it's only got 25,000 (almost).

Anyway, after 3 years the only problems are:

brake fluid leak - slow, I've only had to top it off once, but I can see it in my regular parking space.

1 of 2 windshield fluid squirters is clogged.

CD changer got an "ERR" last Friday and won't play or eject any discs.

Not bad for a Chrysler.

Reply to
L Sternn

A brake fluid leak is not under warranty? On the old drum brakes, the cylinders used to go and leak. A bleed screw be loose?

This drives me nuts. They won't fix that either? Or lend you a paper clip if it's thin enough?

You don't say what model but it's not bad. If they don't fix it, then that would give me pause for reflection, time enough to read the fine print on the warranty. Not covered?

Reply to
Treeline

I guess I wasn't clear - they haven't told me those things aren't covered. I'm expecting them to fix them.

Reply to
L Sternn

They will not fix those problems if you do not tell them the problems. I worked at DC and the dealer cannot fix a warrantible problem unless the customer tells the service department the problem! They audit the dealers warranty files and if not placed on the invoice when customer explains the problem, then DC will charge back the repairs, so make sure you communicate all the problems so the dealer will do the repairs.

Reply to
David

Regarding the Err on the CD player. Mine has been doing it for a while. I just remove the CD cartridge and push it back in. Apparently something has wiggled loose.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Kirsten Daily

I might be able to remove it with needle-nosed pliers, but I don't know - America's Service Station stole my pair out of my old car a couple years ago and I don't need them enough to have replaced them.

The CD changer did this once before a couple months ago, but it then acted fine when I drove it next.

I just hope I didn't have to tell them that I want all 4 CDs that are in it.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
L Sternn

What is wrong with you people?

Of course I told them all the problems.

I bet you 2 idiots would have shelled out the $599 for the 2 year/30K service.

As I would expect - why should they fix something that I don't tell them is a problem?

Oh yeah - there was another minor problem that I forgot to mention - one of the little plastic things where the convertible latch fits when the top is down had fallen out.

So far, they've fixed 2 of the problems, sent the CD changer out for repair and are going to get the fluid leak tomorrow. They tell me it should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

2 days for 4 problems - not too bad. And they're tinting the windows too. Their price for that was in line with a couple other places I checked and hopefully I can trust a dealer not to f*ck that up, although who knows - maybe they'll do something stupid like not clean the windows first.

I didn't tell them to do that. Should I have?

What the f*ck did you 2 clowns think I told them when I dropped it off?

"No, I don't want to pay $599 for an oil change (and a few other things) but my warranty expires tomorrow. Can I just leave it here a couple of days?"

Oh, and Treeline - it's a Sebring. Note that I crossposted this thread to the Sebring group.

There's a 3 year warranty and it expires today. I got a good deal on it because they still had 5 of the previous year's models on the lot. Given that information, maybe even you will be able to figure out what model year it is.

Oh well - I should have known better. I thought maybe someone would have some thoughts on whether there is any part of their 2y/30K service that I should really get done.

Unfortunately, all the details of what it entailed escaped my mind once he told me the price except for the oil change and "decarbonizing" something in the engine.

I do need an oil change, but the decarbonizing thing sounded like snake oil to me. I'll see if he can provide me with a list when I pick it up.

Reply to
L Sternn

I check the owners manual and follow the extreme service maintenance schedule. Anything else they try to sell is just added dealer profit in my opinion.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

This can't be right. My dealer has found warranty items that I was unaware of when in for other service work AND repaired them. It would be piss-poor customer service if they didn't. I believe the last time was a leaking/loose tranny cooler coupling. Now they called be first for permission.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

There might also be liability issues.

Suppose they noticed some problem with the brakes, ignore it, and then the customer's brakes fail resulting in a fatal accident.

Reply to
L Sternn

There is always the opportunity of Milking the Warranty - - - AKA wasting the customers time

Reply to
Mark Bittmann

Wasting the customers time? How so if the car is already in the shop for other service work. Makes no difference to the customer if they fix six other things before you pick it up at 6:00 that night. Not sure I understand the comment.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That is a good point as well. It would be dumb to leave something that needs fixing "unfixed", especially if they can call the customer and say "Hey I found this problem and we can fix it under warranty".

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Reply to
Treeline