30,000 Mile Maintenance Service

Who would you guys recommend for this service ? I have a '01 Coupe.

The ford dealer says its 500 bucks. Midas says its 375 + additional for platinum sparks if any. Precision Tune says 355 flat. Said nothing additional for anything (sparks). Precision Auto says 850. I went personally to get this estimate.

Everyone seems to be doing the same stuff. Estimates vary. Answers on the phone are generic. On site estimates are totally different.

This thing is driving me nuts. Now I know why the prices of Mustang's are so low.

Anwyay, what do you recommend ? I did sign up with the dealer. He said nothing until next week. I told him I would take my business to the midas accross from him, and he squeezed me in for tomorrow :-).

Also, how much should I be looking at paying for new front brakes ?

Thanks a lot!

- Silver Stang

Reply to
Silver Stang

You're probably getting WAY more service than this car needs. You should have a booklet of scheduled maintenence for your Mustang that came from FORD, NOT the dealer. The two almost never match. There are three types of service you'll find with any car dealer's service shop:

  1. Prepaid or included service. minimal, 7500-10,000 mile oil changes, not much else
  2. Standard factory recommended intervals. 5,000 mile oil changes,
30,000 mile filters, check belts, top off fluids every 5k, etc. Flush coolant & tranny at 50,000 or so.
  1. "Dealer recommended" service. Overkill, and more $$$ for dealer.
3,000 mile oil changes, 30,000 mile coolant flush, tranny flush, probably some "multi point inspection" crap, and they'll try to clean your fuel injection system long before it actually needs it.

Stick with what Ford (factory, not dealer) says. $500 seems a bit high. Mustangs are not very high maintenence automobiles. (You don't need to change timing belts, tensioners & water pumps at 60,000 miles like some of them ferreign carz--like my Audi)

Also, don't go to Midas.

Vic

2kGT 5m blk suspension upgrades
Victor DiMichina

For the front brakes, retail here is $108CDN plus labo(u)r to install, which ford wants $85 for (one hour rate i think). Also they want $85 per rotor to machine mine ("rust marks"). So add that up, $160 to "machine rotors", $85 to install, $108 for pads, $363CDN, $1.4 exchange, about $260US. Its easy to do it yourself though and rotors are around the same price as they want to machine the old ones. What else is involved? I'll see if i can give ya an idea. Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

LMAO!!!!

Yeah, an inspection with a tight latex glove at some dealers!

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Damn....... good advice here ... all of you ....

I turned in my car to ford this morning.....500$ .... told them I dont want a call saying its more ....

4 hours later it turns out to be 1200$ ... what the hell is that ? cleaning fuel injection and induction was not included ... ? i think everyone does that outside ... they say its not what the dealer includes .... like hello, why din u tell me before .... piece of shit mofos

they said i needed new brakes which i do.. $249 new rear tires, which prolly i do but can live without for some time ... $190 with tires comes alignment .... $70 cleaning fuel injection - $80 cleaning induction - $120

comes to $1200...!!! WTF !?

and in a few months i need to extend my damn warranty and pay another $1000 ..

anywya, I just aked for the new brakes .. .cause thats something i know i really need ...

so overall its about 800 bucks .....

i am wondering if I should sell this car ... I owe 12,000 more on it if i pay it right away ..

blue book is roughly 11,000.

its an automatic coupe with a mp3 player and sub/amp. Also, some decals on the hood, side and back.

What do you guys think the price should be ? Is it worth selling it ? What a rip off buying this car for 17,600 overall.... the new 2002 coupe at my local dealer is for 12,500 ==> comes to 15,000 overall i guess.

so you guys say I dont need the cleaning of fuel injection, induction ...

Thanks for all your suggestion guys ...

Buckle up!

- Silver Stang

Reply to
Silver Stang

Ya got porked. $70 not-needed alignment? $120 'induction cleaning?' You should have said NO, NO, NEVER, NO.

This is reason #5,820 why I do not have Ford service my vehicle. $120 for TB cleaning - HA! It cost them all of $.05 cents to do that. I do it to mine 2X yearly in my own garage in about 10 minutes.

Don't feel bad. Hundreds of thousands get porked at Ford Dealership service depts. every year. Fortunately, I am not one of them.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

welll like i said ... i just got the service and the brakes ... .said no for the other stuff .. is the cleanin of fuel cell and the induction required ??

Reply to
Silver Stang

screwed.

on the high side but that's what Ford does..

not bad...

for rear tires ?? hahaha, you can't even align the rear, the front alignment is the only adjustable one....plus I never would get an alignment if the front tires wear evenly. (and you kept the tire pressure up)

Did it run bad ? if not, NOT needed.

this is a total rip-off !

screwed

don';t sell it. Buy a manual and follow the maintenance schedule yourself. Most of the things they charge you is for labor.

not unless it's running badly.

Rein

Reply to
Silver Stang

hmmm....how do I find out if the fuel injection and induction has gone bad ??? considering the dealer will always lie ...

Reply to
Silver Stang

In 30k miles it wont have gone bad, at 60,000+ miles if you have fuel related problems, and everything else is checked or tuned (filters, plugs, MAF cleaning, other sensors cleaned/replaced), then throw in a couple consecutive bottles of Chevron "Techron". Which is just about the only "snake oil" out there that has a good rep on the internet.

Fuel system cleaning is one of those things, it's more for peace of mind than anything (i.e. "is my car running as efficiently as possible?"). If you think you have carbon build up (again it's a peace of mind thing) then find a shop that has a "MotorVac" fuel system cleaner, this machine actually cleans the combustion chambers, fuel injectors, TB, valves; basically everything that can have carbon build up or otherwise be clogged in the upper half of your engine. This machine like techron actually seems to have a good rep on the internet, I've read numerous mechanics in r.a.tech sing it's praises.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

I have had very good luck with "Justice Brothers" fuel injector cleaner. Hard to find, but worth it.

Gene

Reply to
Gene Seach

Wow! Just found this thread..

First of all, you got totally ripped, even before it came to $1200.

If at all possible, I never take the car to the dealer, unless it is a warranty claim. DEALERS ONLY EXIST TO RIP OFF UNSUSPECTING CUSTOMERS. I swear, I think that's what they rely on for revenues. However, they occasionally do have a deal that you can use.

I have a '98 Cobra. I have never taken it anywhere for a 'scheduled' maintenance other than an oil change. I get letters from the dealer all of the time, but they go right into the trash. I had the front brakes replaced at 40k miles by buying the pads from Ford and paying a shop $100 for labor (resurfacing, etc.). Rear brake job from the dealer at 50k for < $200. Replaced the fuel filter at Firestone (45k miles) for $40. Flushed the radiator at some shop for ~ $40. I replace the air filters myself.

Other than that, I've had nothing done to the car. And if I ever do, it will definitely NOT be at the dealer.

Reply to
Eddie

how long do you think your car will last without any major service ?

Reply to
Silver Stang

Define a major service. I believe if you change your oil regularly, replace the filters at the recommended intervals, and replace the antifreeze as recommened, not much will go wrong in a couple of hundred thousand miles that a "major serivce" would prevent. Some things do wear out and need replaecment (brakes, belts, etc), but most of this stuff isn't replaced by the sort of "major services" dealers perform. I do think changing the rear end and transmission fluids occasionally (50K miles for the rear end, 25K for an automatic transmission) may avoid problems, but I am not sure these are part of a "major service" and they might not be neded at all if you are easy on vehicles. I just traded off a 1997 Expedition with 147,000 miles. It was running great. I changed the oil every 3 to 5K miles, air and fuel filters every 20 to 25K miles, transmission fluid every 25K miles, differental and transfer case fulids every 50k miles, spark plugs once at 100K miles, serpentine belt twice (60K, 110K). I also had to replace brake pads at 60k and 120K miles, plus one coil pack (110K) and one alternator (95K). By your definition did any of these constitute a major service?

Regards,

Ed White

Silver Stang wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

well.... I always thought there had to be major services/maintenance performed at 30k, 60k, 90k ... etc ... i dont know much about this stuff ...

Reply to
Silver Stang