20W50 oil?

Hello. Does anybody have any opinion on 20W50 engine oil? Its used mostly for high reving and hotter engines. Like on motorcycles. But I've heard from people it is a good oil for honda civics. I've been using it
for a year now, but not in winter. Does anybody think it'll have any serious effect on my car? Keep in mind there is 351,000kms on it now and it works great.
On another note: How do I clean the intake area. I know it's never been dont in the last 100 or 150kms. And I've driven abuot 4000kms on a dusty gravel highways in some more northern areas.
Doug
Add pictures here
âś–

It "works great" only because you've never had your motor apart.
It's a terrible idea. Your bearings and top end are getting a good, hard scraping every time you start up from cold, since the oil is taking that much longer to get up there.
Take it out and put 5W-30 back in there. If you're using 20W-50 to mask oil consumption problems, then you're only ultimately making things worse with the heavy stuff. This isn't the '60s any more.

Just pull the plastic intake tube off the throttle body. Spray some throttle body cleaner on to a clean rag and swab it out and both sides of the throttle plate (hold it open by hand). Spray some more throttle body cleaner on a toothbrush and use that to loosen the carbon around the spindle. Wipe it all off and keep going until clean.
If you wish, you can unbolt the EACV/IACV and shoot some throttle body cleaner through there as well.
Do not bother with spraying throttle body cleaner directly into the intake plenum with the engine running. You will do no good and may even do harm. All the gunk collects in the throttle body, especially if your PCV valve is getting plugged.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

Forgot to mention: Your oil filters will be calibrated for 5W-30 and 10W- 30. Heavier oils will activate the bypass valve more often, so you're recirculating more abrasives through your oil pump, bearings and cam mechanism than you would with the lighter oil.
Bad, BAD idea.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

Shades of the mid 60s, I used to use 20-50W in a 64 XKE Jaguar. The old Jags had a 10 qt sump and were designed to use oil at the rate of about 1 qt every 300-500 miles. Can't imagine using it in a Honda. Even my Prelude only calls for 5-30w.
Add pictures here
âś–
TWW wrote:

Good to know. Perhaps I'll use 5w30 next time around. What the best thing a person can do to a car with 350,000kms on it to keep it going?
Add pictures here
âś–
Colisto wrote:

if there's nothing wrong with it, keep driving it! use a good quality oil with a decent additive package. personally i lke castrol gtx because it keeps my seals from leaking & keeps the motor quiet, but ymmv.
Add pictures here
âś–

Change your oil a lot. And do that from new.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
use syntec oil or syntec blend by castrol if you want more protection. especially if you live where the tempatures are extreme. also use a fram oil filter. they're the best.
-jeff

Add pictures here
âś–

They are? Offer your proof please.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
hondaman wrote:

Temperatures here go between -25(-13f) celcius to +30(86f). So its not bad to put synthetic in an old old car with a million miles on it like Ive heard? When its never seen synthetic before in its life.?
Add pictures here
âś–

I get between -22F to 100F. Castrol GTX 5W-30 is all my baby has ever seen. Still getting 2,000 miles per quart of oil with about 405,000 km on the clock. How long that will last though, I have no idea.

Apparently not.
It used to be that synthetics had a tendency to leach plasticizers from the seals and harden them, causing leakage, but that has supposedly not been true since the early-mid-'90s.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–

because the deposits from the crankcase had plugged a 3/8 inch hose solid. I never even thought to check a hose that big. Anyway, when it didn't leak I changed my daughter's '93 Accord with a little more than 200K miles. Still no leak. But (like you) I was leery.
Mike
Add pictures here
âś–
Michael Pardee wrote:

Maybe it's worth a try then. With winter coming the temperatures get cold. All small engines call for synthetic 5W30 in the winter for a reason. So why not do it to the car?
Add pictures here
âś–

Michael, how many years and miles of no oil-related problems have now passed for each car?
Add pictures here
âś–
wrote

Honda.