91 Accord - Brake Problem

I seem to be having trouble with my brakes. I think that the power booster pushrod is pressing against the master cylinder and causing the brakes to
drag ever so slightly. At high speeds, the rotors heat up, causing the steering wheel to shake. After a short while, you then begin to smell the brake pads and you can feel the heat off the rotors. Is there a special procedure to adjust the booster pushrod? I can't seem to get it to change its position in relation to the booster. I've had the booster off the car and moved the adjuster nut on the back of the booster, which I thought would change the relation of the pushrod, but it has not made any difference. When the master cylinder is attached to the booster, there should be clearance between the pushrod and master cylinder piston (1/32 in.) I'm going crazy with this problem.....any help is appreciated. Joe

measurement of the depth of the master cylinder piston mating surface compared to the measurement of the pushrod from the surface, and specify 0 to 0.016 inches). Are you able to tell if the adjustment does anything at all?
Mike
Thanks for the reply. As I tried to make the adjustment, I used a straight edge and a 6 in. scale to measure the end of the pushrod from the face of the booster. After adjusting the rod, I saw no change in the position of the pushrod. I am really stumped. Since I left the locking star nut loose, I guess I will try moving the rod to one extreme and then the other. Moving the position of the rod is suppose to change the position of the pushrod. Maybe by trial and error I will figure it out. Thanks again. Joe

Joe. It is possible that you are "barking up the wrong tree". Every time that I had the symptoms that you describe, (over heated rotors, steering wheel shake at highway speed, smell of burnt rubber) it turned out to be defective/binding calipers, they were binding because rust would build-up on the caliper in the area just behind the dust boot. My fix was to either rebuild/clean the calipers -if rebuild kits were available, or replace them with rebuilt units. HTH JerryR
Joe Guarino wrote:

The calipers are rebuilt....both sides. I replaced the flexible brake lines, thinking that they may have been collapsed. Still the same problem. If I put the car in neutral, it should roll freely, but it doesn't. I need to make an adjustment to the pushrod, but I'm not sure how. Thank you, Joe

How do you know this? A mis-adjusted pushrod generally makes the brakes stick on a little more each time you step on the pedal, until the car is immobile.
Your caliper pistons are likely sticking on account of gum and rust on the piston, causing the pads to drag on the rotor. Pull the brakes apart and check.

Your slide pins and pads are probably sticking as well.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#troubleshooting http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/rustybrakes/brakes1.html
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
It does seem like the problem gets worse, the longer you drive the car. I thought that it was because the longer the car was drive, the more heat was generated by the brake pressure against the rotors. The calipers are rebuilt....one only a few days old. The slide pins are clean and well lubricated. I need to determine how to adjust the pushrod......which I believe to be the problem. The master cylinder is a rebuilt too. Thanks for the reply, Joe

For the Civic/Integra:
Back the pushrod in until the brakes do not lock on. Adjustment is done at the "star" locknut against the booster, NOT the locknut against the clevis that attaches to the pedal!
Accord may be the same.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I had a similar problem on my 91 Accord DX. It turned out to be the brake pads binding on the calipers as the pad backing rusted a little. I took the pads off and hit the edges that slide on the caliper with emery paper. It did the trick! But then less than a year later the problem returned. I took them off again and used a file to remove the rust and just a little metal so it wont happen anytime soon. It's been over a year now and it hasn't happened again.
If you have had this problem for any length of time or it has been very bad ("begin to smell the brake pads") the rotors may be heat damaged.
On Sun, 1 May 2005 17:36:34 -0500, "Joe Guarino"

Joe Guarino wrote:

MANY years ago I had a Volvo 122S that did exactly what you're describing. The vacuum assist was activating, and the front disks would get HOT! Tried to pass on the highway and suddenly started to go SLooowwwer. Got out and made the mistake of touching the disk. I heard it before I felt it. Sizzle. It was - 40 at the time, but it was troublesome all that winter. Finally adjusted the rod inside and fixed it.
The Volvo had an excuse (it was a #%$&! Volvo)
'Curly'