91 Accord - Brake Problem

I seem to be having trouble with my brakes. I think that the power booster pushrod is pressing against the master cylinder and causing the brakes to drag ever so slightly. At high speeds, the rotors heat up, causing the steering wheel to shake. After a short while, you then begin to smell the brake pads and you can feel the heat off the rotors. Is there a special procedure to adjust the booster pushrod? I can't seem to get it to change its position in relation to the booster. I've had the booster off the car and moved the adjuster nut on the back of the booster, which I thought would change the relation of the pushrod, but it has not made any difference. When the master cylinder is attached to the booster, there should be clearance between the pushrod and master cylinder piston (1/32 in.) I'm going crazy with this problem.....any help is appreciated. Joe

Reply to
Joe Guarino

That seems to be the procedure Haynes describes (although they call for measurement of the depth of the master cylinder piston mating surface compared to the measurement of the pushrod from the surface, and specify 0 to 0.016 inches). Are you able to tell if the adjustment does anything at all?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Joe Guarino

"Joe Guarino" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How do you know this? A mis-adjusted pushrod generally makes the brakes stick on a little more each time you step on the pedal, until the car is immobile.

Your caliper pistons are likely sticking on account of gum and rust on the piston, causing the pads to drag on the rotor. Pull the brakes apart and check.

Your slide pins and pads are probably sticking as well.

TeGGeR®

position of

appreciated.

surface

anything at

Reply to
yjrybano2spam

Reply to
Joe Guarino

Reply to
Joe Guarino

"Joe Guarino" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

For the Civic/Integra:

Back the pushrod in until the brakes do not lock on. Adjustment is done at the "star" locknut against the booster, NOT the locknut against the clevis that attaches to the pedal!

Accord may be the same.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I had a similar problem on my 91 Accord DX. It turned out to be the brake pads binding on the calipers as the pad backing rusted a little. I took the pads off and hit the edges that slide on the caliper with emery paper. It did the trick! But then less than a year later the problem returned. I took them off again and used a file to remove the rust and just a little metal so it wont happen anytime soon. It's been over a year now and it hasn't happened again.

If you have had this problem for any length of time or it has been very bad ("begin to smell the brake pads") the rotors may be heat damaged.

Reply to
NomoreRGS

MANY years ago I had a Volvo 122S that did exactly what you're describing. The vacuum assist was activating, and the front disks would get HOT! Tried to pass on the highway and suddenly started to go SLooowwwer. Got out and made the mistake of touching the disk. I heard it before I felt it. Sizzle. It was - 40 at the time, but it was troublesome all that winter. Finally adjusted the rod inside and fixed it.

The Volvo had an excuse (it was a #%$&! Volvo)

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _