Accord Questions Re 4 vs 6 ?

Hello,
Two questions, please:
a. anyone have any idea what percentage of e.g., the 2013 Accords sold are 6 cyl. ?
b. is there any good reason to believe that a Accord with a 6 cyl will
last longer, and/or be more reliable than a car with the 4 ?
Thanks, Bob

There is every reason to believe that a Honda 6 cylinder car will cause you grief in your wallet. They have, shall we say, a history that is not good.
Honda's sweet spot has always been 4 cylinder, manual transmission cars. The further you move away from that, the further you move out of the area in which Honda gained their reputation originally.
Additionally, the 6 weighs more and costs more to maintain than the 4. What do you do that you need the 6? Frankly, anyone buying a Honda really needs only the 4. If you're doing something in which you think you need the 6, then either you're making that choice based on mistaken assumptions or else you need the 6 without question and you're buying the wrong vehicle that's wrapped around it.
A 6 cylinder Honda is unnecessary. It serves only to satisfy the market that thinks "more is better", the market that doesn't understand evaluating the entire system as such.
On 1/31/2014 5:27 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

[snip]

Gotta side with Elmo here. I fell into a deal on my first Accord, a 2006 with EX-L with <2k miles on it. I had previously spoken with a friend who had owned several, currently owned a 2005 with the 4 cyl. He told me that a 4 was all I'd ever need. It could scoot with the best of them and gave great mileage. Well, due to the deal, I went with the 6cyl.
I was happy with the car overall but my highway mileage with the 6 was around 27 - 28 at best (and I'm measuring basically non-stop, get it up to 70 or better and set the cruise and drive for 2 or 3 hours on the interstates) vs. 29 mpg for the same type trip in my Corvette.
Snow time? Sheesh, so much torque off the line with that 6cyl it was a bitch in the snow and ice with the stock tires. Enough power there to spin the tires on DRY pavement if I wasn't careful or had a lead foot.
Swapped out and put some well rated Continentals and that problem was somewhat alleviated.
Last year, with just over 100k on the odometer and facing timing belt and water pump swap out, I bought (another great deal) a slightly used 2013 CR-V EX-L NAV. 4 cyl and AWD and I love it. My friend (and Elmo) are correct, if you need more than the 4cyl, you shouldn't be in a Honda. The car can get out of its own way with the best of them and never once have I encountered (in about 6,000 miles of driving) a situation where I felt that I needed or even wanted the 6cyl. Gas mileage is a quite respectable, 25 or so around town and suburban driving. Highway driving as above? No problem getting 32-33 mpg.
Friend of mine recently rode in the car with me on the interstate and merging, etc. he commented that he didn't think the CR-V had a 6. He was surprised to learn that he was correct, he was riding in a 4 cyl.
On 1/31/14, 6:27 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I find the 4 cyls a bit laggy and underpowered. My 6 cyl EX-L zooms and accelerates rapidly when needed on the interstate-- and usually delivers 30-31 mpg on road trips

From my experience with a 2012 EX-L, you only need the 6 if you're after a little performance and the options you can't get with the 4. It comes at a steep price. The 4 is a better balanced car handling-wise. Mileage is surprisingly about a wash. Driving about 80 mph on a lot of long road trips, the 4 is turning in 32 mpg. Better than the wife's '09 Civic does. I think the 6 might do just as well.
When I bought my 2004 EX 4-cylinder, I asked my salesman if there was any good reason to buy a 6-cylinder. He said "no." When I test drove it, I goosed it to pass a truck while getting onto an interstate ramp, and was really surprised at how much acceleration it had.
I'm similarly pleased with my 2013 version.

At the time I got my '04 6 cyl, I was making regular trips from the SF Bay area to Tahoe/Reno/Carson City with 4 people in the car plus bags. It took the mountains like a champ.....

Driving a full load up hill at altitude just about covers it all!
Unless you could get a turbocharged/supercharged option.
J.

Yep, exactly......

I've had my '04 6 cyl Accord for about 10 years....still requires no additional oil between changes and gets the same gas milage it did 9 years ago. Nothing but the regular maintenance on the car from the manual and the usual tires/brakes stuff.

I'm going go guess it's a small number, under 20%.

No.
Take care of the four, and it will take care of you. No way the six can do any better! Unless maybe you're lead foot Charlie and the six might be put to somewhat less of an overload.
J.