diesel honds

Does anyone know anything about this ? http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/bmw_honda.html
Thanks, Lynn

I mean, why cant I buy a diesel Honda CR-V here in the USA like this ? http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2005/H/honda-cr-v-diesel/cr-v-diesel.html
With all the gasoline shortages here in Houston, the stations have plenty of diesel right now.
Thanks, Lynn

Because the federal EPA doesn't like diesels. And California's EPA has placed an outright ban on new diesels.
Diesels' high NOx and high soot levels are what those two bodies primarily object to.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

The EPA and CARB are idiots ! The new Honda diesel 2.2L is an amazing engine. I suspect that we will be able to buy the Honda diesels here in Texas in the near future.
Lynn

Not likely. The *federal* EPA is in the way here, not Texas.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Why not ? I can buy a new diesel VW sedan, diesel Mercedes sedan, diesel Jeep Liberty, and several others here in Texas. Any new diesel vehicles below 8500 GVW would just be 49 state vehicles until CARB pulls their head out of their ***.
Lynn

Oh, OK then. Maybe it's just because Honda doesn't think diesels will sell. Most non-fleet passenger car diesel sales the world over are driven by government tax policy that's used as covert social engineering. Canada and the US do not make such a distinction, so there's little difference between diesel and gasoline here.
My wife (and most other women I know) absolutely hates diesels on account of the stink of the fuel. She'll never buy one. And she doesn't even do her own fillups.
Chrysler brought out the diesel Jeep as a PR measure to make the enviros happy. If the engine makes any money for them, it will be European sales that do it, not American ones. European sales are driven by government tax policy that taxes diesel far lower than gasoline.
Mercedes has been strongly associated with diesels since at least the 1950s, so it's a staple for them. Mercedes diesels are your basic everyday taxi to most of the rest of the world, and they've sold millions upon millions to fleet markets for decades.
As for VW, they've managed to turn their diesels into status symbols, Lord knows how. Clatter clatter, stink stink. Not for me, thanks.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I forgot to mention. The hybrids do not work here in Texas unless the A/C is driven from the electric motor like the Prius. We use the A/C here 9 to 10 months out of the year. So, a hydrid around here is a joke.
Lynn

Yes, and like the millitary 'prepping for the next war by equipping to fight the last, the EPA has its head up its ass, and regulates modern diesel engines based on the 20-yo designs currently in use in the US, and not promoting the low particulate, lower NOx emitting NEW designs of diesel engine.
Maybe if engines were tuned properly, and not so they'd work better with slushboxes, they'd find even better emissions as well.