Do I really need new timing belt on '03 TL w/ only 23.8K miles??

Page 3 of 5
wrote:

I've been waiting for a Fit Si for a long time. It's an old formula, one that's ripe for the picking: put the big motor in the small car. Stick that 201hp motor inside, and let's go.
Shoot, even Lexus--the scaredy cat nanny car company--did that with the IS.
My thought has been for a long time that in Honda's mind, they *do* have a modern Prelude: the 6 speed V6 Accord coupe. I don't think we'll shake them of that opinion.
On 06/11/2012 02:29 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

that accord coupe is a purely usa creation. we're the only country in the world that allows narrow angle rear light lenses - so that carp like cadillac can retain its "styling".
every time honda panders to usa "input" on design and styling, they end up with garbage. the usa-only civics, the ridgeline [omg, what a pile!], and with the exception of the tl, maybe, all the acura lineup.
--
fact check required

And when Steve Jobs refused to do "focus groups" and instead dictated what was right by his standards, it came out right. People bought in droves.
I agree--quit giving me crap that idiots think I should have.
I have to laugh--after 30 years, Ford finally has a global Focus while Honda is busy with the US-only Civic.
On 06/11/2012 12:17 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

good point - the focus has been a very successful vehicle here in the bay area. and honda's most successful vehicles have been global, not u.s,-only.
this again begs the question on how close the ties remain between honda usa's current senior executive and their "former" detroit employer...
--
fact check required

If the intended recipient of Hyundai's efforts was detroit, then it's no wonder Honda suffered from that effort as well.
On 06/09/2012 09:27 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

no, i think the intended recipient of honda's downgrade "throws" [thanks to honda's "ex" frod usa management] was detroit, not hyundai.

--
fact check required

On 06/08/2012 12:48 AM, cameo wrote:

there is a "severe service" schedule for very hot and very cold climates, but that link doesn't say anything about it. just like those pages don't say what vehicle. the poster says what, but pages don't.
--
fact check required

On 6/8/2012 11:35 AM, jim beam wrote:

Not even "very cold". Honda says all of Canada should use the "severe schedule".
On 6/7/2012 5:43 PM, Al wrote:

OK Al, I found my Accord's Owner Manual online in PDF format that you can only download one page at a time but you can navigate through the whole thing online by clicking on the page numbers. The maintenance schedule table is on pg 133 and 134.
<http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AC9494/AC9494O00132A.pdf
As you see, the timing belt and timing balancer belt replacement is called for at 90K miles or 72 months. So your info must have been for Canadian or other non-US version. It would be fun to rub these two schedules into the faces of some Honda officials and ask for explanation.

The Owner's Manual you linked above is for both Canadian AND US versions.
--
Tegger

On 6/12/2012 6:57 AM, Tegger wrote:

So what versions were the ones Al showed maint. sched for?

Al's link, for me, gives a single page for Maintenance Schedule. And that page does not mention the timing belt. The other pages are all Specs.
Is there something you're seeing that I'm not?
--
Tegger

On 6/12/2012 5:10 PM, Tegger wrote:

Well, then what about that web link from Honda Canada that I've shown earlier? That also indicates 60K mile interval for timing belt change on '94 Accord.
http://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-services/maintenance-calculator

Yeah, I saw that one. I'm at a loss for an explanation. All the Canadian/American paper manuals I have for Civic-based vehicles say 90K miles for the timing belt. The Accord manuals, on the other hand, do all say 60K.
However...
I also have a factory 2004 TL manual. It says that timing belt replacement is part of Maintenance Sub-Item 4, along with valve adjustment and spark plug replacement.
For the timing belt service, there is also this qualifier: "If the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures (over 110F), or in very low temperatures (under -20F), replace every 60,000 miles and inspect water pump".
This qualifier implies that, inside of the extreme temperatures given in the qualifier, the belt would be changed at some mileage /higher/ than 60K. 90K would seem to be a reasonable next-increment.
--
Tegger

On 6/12/2012 8:00 PM, cameo wrote:

that came up on a search. As was noted by someone else, it would appear that the poster said it was "Official 94-97 Accord Maintenance Schedule From the official Honda Shop Manual, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. Service Publication Office" but the actual pages posted could have come from some other source, since those pages have no such identifying marking.

The pages in the link you gave were copied out of a factory manual.
--
Tegger

On 06/06/2012 03:04 PM, Seth wrote:

indeed.
at only 24k miles? that's ridiculous.
and to all the "adherents" of the service manual and the service intervals being advocated, look again for what honda actually specify on coolant pump replacement interval/procedure then report back...
--
fact check required

On 6/6/12 5:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

RTFM and DWIS.
In article
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

So far so good.

what does that have to do with anything?

...and because there is no way to inspect the condition of the belt even if it were in plain sight. You cannot evaluate the level of material degradation simply by looking at it.

Why are you questioning the owner's manual?
Oh, wait--you mentioned $840...got it.
Fact: tires last no longer than 5 years before they become unsafe, and your TB also degrades over time.
It has nothing to do with use.
BTW, ask your dealer what are the consequences of your NOT changing the belt, and then it breaks while you're driving it. Hint: $840 will suddenly seem like a very small amount of money.
On 06/06/2012 05:04 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

that's not fact. just the opposite: <http://www.airmichelin.com/uploadedFiles/MichelinAirDev/StandardContent/Resource/certification_level_2.pdf
and aero specs are /way/ stiffer than automotive.
truth is, this "five [or seven] year tire life" smoke has been blown up people's skirts by frod to protect their legal ass from corporate manslaughter charges following their exploder rollover fiasco. which i can understand from their perspective.
what i don't understand though is that the public swallow this stuff unquestioningly, despite the availability of hard scientific fact to the contrary.

so we are told. personally, i'm not taking it without a largish pinch of salt.
regarding the materials used in belt manufacture, assuming their q.c. is sufficient of course, the rubber is a highly saturated nitrile - it's "degradation" is minimal simply as a factor of time, if anything at all. the cordage is either glass fiber or twaron - neither of those degrade appreciably with time either.
my guess is that the time interval is specified to be "safe" in the event that there may be oil leakage, which /can/ degrade the rubber that holds the fibers together, then time would indeed be a factor.

use is definitely a factor - hence the mileage limit.
personally, i've never seen a broken timing belt that didn't exhibit signs of wear. now, do most people know what they're looking for with "signs of wear"? no. is it easy to describe or see? no. but is it there? definitely.
anyway, just for fun, check these out:
on the first, obviously, i carefully selected sample pic area, and you'd really have to know what you're looking at to see wear evidence. but on the second larger pic, the wear evidence is much more obvious.
i think the bottom line is that the belt needs to be taken off to be inspected properly, and given that the labor is so expensive, and the belt so cheap, and the potential cost consequence of breakage so high, you may as well simply replace the thing rather than bother trying to eke out more miles on an "old" belt.

--
fact check required