fuel pump problem?

98 Accord coupe EX V6 120,000 miles auto. Went out to lunch yesterday and the car would not start. Turned over strong but not firing.. Called AAA, he banged on the gas tank and it started. ran for a few minutes and I shut it off. it would not start again. Towed to garage . The next day the car started everytime they tried it. They told me about $500 for a fuel pump installed. I'm going to wait and see what happens. I picked the car up and I'll make sure I have my cellphone at all times.

Any Ideas what might cause this? It was HOT, in the 90s, The car had sit for 11 days and was 1st day back to work after vacation.

If I find I do need to replace the fuel pump do I have to drop the tank? or is there a removable penel in the trunk or under the seat?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

check the main relay. tegger.com faq's.

Reply to
jim beam

========================== When the main relay starts to fail, it prevents the fuel pump from priming the engine when you turn the key to position II. Turn off you radio and LISTEN when you get in your car. Listen to the fuel pump run for two seconds. If you don't hear it, your car isn't going to start unless you smack the dash with your left fist (and the relay runs) then it will start. This problem usually happens when the car gets HOT inside. That's why it will start OK after you cool the car down, or put it in a shady place at the dealership.

Google 'honda main relay' and find a geek who can remove / resolder yours.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

motsco_ wrote in news:HP6dnVzCvLKRB-jVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.uniservecommunications:

you'd think that garages would know about the Honda/Acura main relay by now.....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

c'mon dude, why sell a $50 repair when you can sell a $500 repair instead?

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:qu6dnftmSYDMkevVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

a $500 repair that would not have fixed his problem.

a garage still could make a good profit replacing his relay,charging their hourly rate plus the part's "cost" + markup,AND have a happy,satisfied customer.

I think it's more ignorance of auto repair than intentional parts-selling.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

maybe, maybe not. but i wouldn't put money on them not over-selling. it's absolutely rife in the industry. whole new braking systems after only 15k miles? twice? master cylinder, disks, drums, calipers, hoses [sic] the lot - that was a friend of mine at san francisco honda. he asked me after the second time [about 45k miles] whether this was normal...

Reply to
jim beam

Yup. I feel absolutely bad for people that have no knowledge of cars when they have to bring them to a shop for service. You never know if the place is selling you a bucket of lies unless you can physically verify the problem, and know what you are looking at.

I once had a mechanic at a chain store try to sell me a brake job on my 87 Camaro for front and back pads, shoes rotors and drums about a month after I had replaced everything myself. Never went back there again...

Reply to
Joe

Something I heard from my mechanic is that he's seen fuel pumps on older cars going recently, and he thinks it's due to too much ethanol in the gas. He tested the gas in some of the cars with bad pumps and found 19% ethanol which he says is too much for our cars to handle. Apparently un-ethanol'd gas puts a lubricating varnish on the fuel pump, over time, and too much ethanol eats that away, screwing up the pump.

Don't know how true that all may be, but he thinks the "cheaper" (non-branded?) gas may have that problem which may also result in poorer performance. I thought ethanol was a pretty expensive additive, but these days it may be cheaper than the petrol.

Anyway, FWIW.

Reply to
mdrawson

"He tested the gas in some of the cars with bad pumps and found 19% ethanol"??? so your mechanic moonlights as an analytic chemist??

"lubricating varnish"???

no dude, this is just guessing bullshit.

Reply to
jim beam