gear shift stuck

I have a 2001 Honda Accord. The gear shift is stuck in park. I did locate the release and can now shift it, but that did not fix the problem...all
suggestions are appreciated on how to fix the problem, rather than by pass it. Thanks.
Is the P light on? If not on the signal from the range switch contact is missing. Bad contact. If the light is it doesn't pick the release. Try shaking the shifter. Switch on brake pedal also has to be made to release. You are pushing on brake pedal? Check the switch.

littlegirl24u wrote:

Search this forum for the word 'key' as in 'can't get freaking key out of ignition'. Same reason as yours, usually. Follow the links to the Honda TSB's and adjust the shifter cable length. What's your mileage, is it worse in the cold?
'Curly'