help with troubleshooting (blown head gasket, or clogged pcv valve?)

I have a 99 honda civic with a d16Y8 sohc engine with vtec (its actually an acura 1.6 el, but for simplicitys sake, we'll call it a civic since its the same thing). and I have milky tan\white colour stuff (gunk i guess), in the head (under the valve cover). This is a symptom of a head gasket leak going from the coolant to the oil, but I dont seem to have many of the other common symptoms!

here is a list I made of what i know

-thick tan coloured residue in the head

-oil looks normal on dip stick

-engine is not overheating

-the engine runs and idles normally

-the engine hasn't lost power

-spark plugs appear normal (somebody compared the plugs from there intega to mine)

-cant smell coolant in exhaust gases (at least I cant)

-no bubbles in coolant resivoir with the engine running (should I check in the rad cap with the engine running?)

-looks like there's oil in the coolant but the coolant is not milky, its bright green. however, when I take the overflow hose out of the resivoir, coolant drips out of the hose and when it hits the coolant in the resivoir, i can see a little bit of black liquid which dissolves into the coolant (is this oil?)

-the exhaust dosent look too white (from burning coolant), but it IS winter, so it might be hard to tell

-The coolant level dosent seem to be going down (if it is, its too slow to tell after just a few short trips)

-my PCV valve could be clogged, I dont really know (which would cause condensation in the block\head, leading to the residue in the head), but given that it looks like there is oil in the coolant, Ii think this is probably less likely the problem.

What do you think, is any further testing nessecary? I would like to stay away from spending money on any testing equipment if possible, but basically the only two problems seem to be blown head gasket, or clogged pcv valve.. and i guess a possibility of a badly warped or cracked head.

thanks in advance

Phil

Reply to
Phil

I should mention that i have 140,000 km on the engine, and have never had to pull the head for anything before.

Reply to
Phil

It sounds like one of two or three things: You're warming it up on the driveway, you're only driving five blocks to work, your PCV needs changing.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

if the head was "badly warped or cracked", it wouldn't be drivable. yes, mayonnaise under the oil cap is a symptom of head gasket, but usually it's a /lot/ of mayonnaise, not a little. a little is not getting the motor hot enough like curly says. check/replace pcv and keep driving until "symptoms" get worse. do /not/ warm up engine on driveway.

Reply to
jim beam

Why is this a bad thing? Just curious.

Thanks, BT