Honda dealer wipes out my maintenance records?

Page 1 of 2
I called my dealer to arrange a service for my 91 Accord, which just turned 100,000. The service person says that they don't have any records for the car and explained that the system wipes records for
any car that hasn't be serviced in six months.
I'm a computer programmer and nothing is cheaper than disk space these days, and I could likely fit all of the maintenance records of all the Accords in the US on one of my PCs. It just doesn't make any sense that they would wipe out stuff.
I don't do much maintenance of the car at the dealer, but the car was originally bought there by the previous owner and I have had it there several times. The original owner had all of the maintenance done there.

handed a platter of crap?
dgk wrote:

You haven't dealt with Honda.
My dealer stores records for much longer, but yours is not related to mine.
Dealers are independant entities, not a part of Honda.
dgk wrote:

And so it goes...
The question is, do you have the records?
Every business has a records retention policy. While I agree 6 months is not very long, your car is a '91 model. How long would you suggest "they" retain your records? Would you be willing to pay for the service of record retention? The way dealers' are now you're lucky they would even consider working on it... let alone maintain a service record.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

I'll go you one better. I leased my Accord in December of 2000, four years later I purchased the car from Honda Canada. The maintenance records of the vehicle (in fact its very existence) was wiped out of Honda's system due to the privacy laws here. It's a good thing that I have every piece of paper regarding the servicing of the car stored in hard copy here at home.

Ask them to prove that you have possession of a car supposedly leased from them.

Anyone that read what I typed, would know that I don't have possession of a vehicle that is leased from them.

Sounds odd. More likely their disk crashed six months ago and they had no backup!
:)
J.
JXStern wrote:

"lifetime" replacement muffler on my '92 Accord, and the dealer doesn't keep records .     I got a three ring binder, and have kept the originals of ALL the expenses for the car. Comes in very handy, and has helped me get three free mufflers and one new radiator! bob

There are plenty of programs out there that already do this and I'll admit to just being too lazy (I'll be nice to myself and say "too busy"). I do keep all the paper and eventually it ends up in a folder. It just seems so odd that they "routinely" wipe the records. If so, it makes no sense, and if not, then I don't like being lied to. If they lie about that, then they'll lie about other stuff.
Why should a potential buyer believe your spreadsheet. The dealer's records and paper records adds value to your car when you go to sell it. A spreadsheet prepared by you doesn't. I don't believe the 6 month crap from your dealer. With the new built in honda maintenence system, people driving new Honda's but putting on low mileage won't be back to the dealer every 6 months for an oil change. Will their records be wiped out too? Doubtful.

Top posting is just as bad as not quoting. :)

Top posting is good. Saves much scrolling past the dead text needlessly quoted.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:36:05 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

qarzhz wrote:

are being referenced, and then reply under the quoted text.
Sign up on Honda Ownerlink and see if your service records are there....

I've registered my last two Hondas on ownerlink and no maintenance records ever appeared there save the entries I put in it myself. Its no different than a personal spreadsheet.
On 7/10/07 6:59 PM, in article

The dealer just isn't holding up his part of the deal as that is what you are paying him for.

I keep all receipts and maintenance summaries. So each spreadsheet line can be backed up. Very simple and accurate.
I called one of the local Honda dealers to schedule a maintenance this morning, and I had been there for maintenance last year. It sounded like they almost didn't want my business. He asked what I wanted to do. I said "scheduled maintenance." Then he said "what kind?" and I said I had been there a year ago, and he said they don't keep good records so they might not know what to do. But finally he said he would schedule me and they would look at it. WTH?