Hood Release Stuck

We can't open the hood on our 1999 accord. The hood pops up when we pull the latch on the dash. However, the release lever under the hood seems frozen. Any ideas?
We sprayed WD40. I am afraid of bending the lever off.
Thanks
Rich

You don't open the hood much, do you?
You won't bend it provided you're pushing in the right direction (towards passenger side).
It's probably just rusty. Don't use WD-40, use penetrating oil, like 3-in- 1, Kroil, or PB Blaster.
Make sure you spray or drip in the very center, down where the latch mechanism is.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Give the WD40 penetrant a few days to work... repeating the spraying daily.
Professor www.telstar-electronics.com http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category3717&itemy87538023
Professor wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category3717&itemy87538023
    I wish people would find GOOD silicone lube and FORGET about wd-40. I know wd is popular, but other products are better by far. bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category3717 &itemy87538023
It would be nice if you could provide us with actual names of some superior products. Then maybe we'll consider giving them a try too.
Ron M.

WD stands for "Water Displacing". It was never intended as a penetrant.
The best to get? Rust Check Krown (above available in Eastern Canada only and are the absolute very best there is anywhere in the world, bar none)
3-in-1 oil sewing machine oil gun oil PB Blaster Kroil (latter two evaporate too much for my taste)
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Look for any product identifying itself as a penetrant, and consider whether you need silicone or if oil will do. My rule of thumb is silicone on plastics and places where dirt attraction will be a problem.
WD-40 is not a great penetrant and it is a worse lubricant. People who use it in locks make me crazy - once the stuff turns to gum it appears more WD is the only way to get the lock to move again.
Mike
Number11 wrote:

lol, a common suggestion for this is to go to a quicky oil change place (they will need to open the hood) and pretend you didn't know there was a problem.
Yes... but the problem with that is... the big goomer at the oil change place will probably break it off trying to get it open.
Professor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category3717&itemy87538023
It was a rock !!
My daughter took the car to the dealer. Somehow, they forced the hood open and found a small stone wedged in the mechanism. $7 charge. The cheapest bill I've seen from a dealer
Thanks for the info on the WD-40, silicone and big goomers

Unreal... glad you solved the problem. That's certainly a new twist.
Professor www.telstar-electronics.com