Hood Release Stuck

We can't open the hood on our 1999 accord. The hood pops up when we pull the latch on the dash. However, the release lever under the hood seems frozen. Any ideas?

We sprayed WD40. I am afraid of bending the lever off.

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Number11

"Number11" wrote in news:cMgDe.22912$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

You don't open the hood much, do you?

You won't bend it provided you're pushing in the right direction (towards passenger side).

It's probably just rusty. Don't use WD-40, use penetrating oil, like 3-in-

1, Kroil, or PB Blaster.

Make sure you spray or drip in the very center, down where the latch mechanism is.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Give the WD40 penetrant a few days to work... repeating the spraying daily.

Professor

Professor

I wish people would find GOOD silicone lube and FORGET about wd-40. I know wd is popular, but other products are better by far. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

lol, a common suggestion for this is to go to a quicky oil change place (they will need to open the hood) and pretend you didn't know there was a problem.

Reply to
Brian Stell

Yes... but the problem with that is... the big goomer at the oil change place will probably break it off trying to get it open.

Professor

Professor

It was a rock !!

My daughter took the car to the dealer. Somehow, they forced the hood open and found a small stone wedged in the mechanism. $7 charge. The cheapest bill I've seen from a dealer

Thanks for the info on the WD-40, silicone and big goomers

Reply to
Number11

Unreal... glad you solved the problem. That's certainly a new twist.

Professor

Professor

It would be nice if you could provide us with actual names of some superior products. Then maybe we'll consider giving them a try too.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

"Ron M." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

WD stands for "Water Displacing". It was never intended as a penetrant.

The best to get? Rust Check Krown (above available in Eastern Canada only and are the absolute very best there is anywhere in the world, bar none)

3-in-1 oil sewing machine oil gun oil PB Blaster Kroil (latter two evaporate too much for my taste)
Reply to
TeGGeR®

Look for any product identifying itself as a penetrant, and consider whether you need silicone or if oil will do. My rule of thumb is silicone on plastics and places where dirt attraction will be a problem.

WD-40 is not a great penetrant and it is a worse lubricant. People who use it in locks make me crazy - once the stuff turns to gum it appears more WD is the only way to get the lock to move again.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee