Hood won't open

So I pull the hood release on my 84 GW and only the passenger side releases - any suggestions as to how to get the hood open, and then fix the hood release mechanism?

JP

Reply to
JayPique

two person will be need, one pulling the hood release handle and one pressing on the hood driver side near the release Defective cable or latch need to be greased....

Sometime pulling the cable really hard will do the trick too

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well I got the hood open by having a bang on it a little while I was pulling the release lever. Once opened I took a good look around and lubricated the joints. Strange thing is, I don't really think it's the release mechanism at all. I think that the hood springs are just not strong enough to pop the hood up in the air when you pull hood release. It just sort of sits there. I'll be googling on new springs.

On to better news... It's really quite simple to open the hood of an '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer even if the cable itself is broken. You need a long screwdriver or something (I used a dandelion weeder thingy) to activate the release from just driver side of center at the top of the grill. It's hard to explain, but if you check out the mechanism opened and closed you'll see what I mean.

I just sort of push the flat metal plate up with the tip of the weeder, while lifting the hood itself with my other hand. Pops right up, and then you just lift the safety catch, which is just to the right of the metal plate you were pushing up.

JP

************************ Next up: Alternator
Reply to
Jay Pique